Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash configuration

In my mac, whenever I erase an element it asks me my password, and then the trash appears to be empty, so I assume I cannot recover these files. For accident I deleted a file that I did not want to, what can I do to recover it?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 4:39 PM

You can go to the Finder menu/Preferences/advanced and make sure that secure empty trash is not checked, if it is not checked, then you will usuallly get a prompt to empty trash securely, and have to enter your admin psswd.

If you do a secure empty, it is gone. You can do a web search for recovery software which may, or may not work. (such as disk warrior, etc..) but it is expensive, and may not work, you can also try a data recovery service, which will be even more expensive. It all depends on how "valuable" the data that you deleted is.

Best of luck

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2013 4:39 PM in response to erickrl6

You can go to the Finder menu/Preferences/advanced and make sure that secure empty trash is not checked, if it is not checked, then you will usuallly get a prompt to empty trash securely, and have to enter your admin psswd.

If you do a secure empty, it is gone. You can do a web search for recovery software which may, or may not work. (such as disk warrior, etc..) but it is expensive, and may not work, you can also try a data recovery service, which will be even more expensive. It all depends on how "valuable" the data that you deleted is.

Best of luck

Trash configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.