3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2013 7:52 PM by Kirby Krieger
Victoria Herring Level 2 Level 2
expertise.macosx
Mac OS X

I am using Aperture on my MacPro and I am trying to isolate horizontal images by doing a find for pixel width = or greater than 4700 - it finds them, but it also includes some vertical images with 4700+ height...which is not what I want.

How do I find [other than eyeballing images] photos that are horizontal in nature [landscape] rather than vertical [portrait[.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
Reply by léonie on Nov 24, 2013 4:23 PM Helpful

Victoria,

try these rules in a smart search or smart album:

Add rule: Aperture Metadata >

Aspect Ratio includes 4.3

or

Orientation is Landscape.

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 01.20.00GMT+1.png

You can combine this with your size rule.

Regards

Léonie

Reply by Kirby Krieger on Nov 24, 2013 7:52 PM Helpful

Note that if you add the metadata field "Orientation" to one of your List View Metadata Overlays you can then switch to List view, click the column header, and switch back to Browser view and your Images will be sorted by orientation.  I have found invaluable when needed.

One of my general recommendations is to add _all_ possible fields to "List View - Expanded".  This is the most "spreadsheet-like" display of your Images and data possible in Aperture.

All replies

• léonie Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Victoria,

try these rules in a smart search or smart album:

Add rule: Aperture Metadata >

Aspect Ratio includes 4.3

or

Orientation is Landscape.

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 01.20.00GMT+1.png

You can combine this with your size rule.

Regards

Léonie

• Victoria Herring Level 2 Level 2
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

looks like it'll solve the problem -== the pixel width thing was only my logical assumption of what I would serch for = your idea is much better....thanks

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6

Note that if you add the metadata field "Orientation" to one of your List View Metadata Overlays you can then switch to List view, click the column header, and switch back to Browser view and your Images will be sorted by orientation.  I have found invaluable when needed.

One of my general recommendations is to add _all_ possible fields to "List View - Expanded".  This is the most "spreadsheet-like" display of your Images and data possible in Aperture.