Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maverick IMAP and Gmail

Since the Mavericks upgrade, I've lost all historical GMail emails, all nicely organised in folders for myself, an an account I had set up for my son. This account contained historical emails from people throughout his life from when he wa a baby, with videos and links that I was planning on showing him when he was older, an 'archive' of his life so to speak.

All gone. Wiped out. Apple didn't warn us about this so assume it wasn't tested. Absolutey disgraceful. No trace on GMail at al so deleted at source, and now irretrievable. Well thank you Apple you useless bunch of tossers.

Many other threads on these forums indicating the same problem.

So Mavericks obviously a great name as in 'unpredictable, untested and untrustworthy' .... fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, MacBook Pro going on eBay ... along with iPhones, iPads and everything else .... this ain't what i signed up for ...

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 4:00 AM

6 replies

Jan 4, 2014 1:04 PM in response to marcuslaz

Same with me...I am furious!!

However, I was able to retrieve some of my emails. If you backed up your machine before upgrading to Mavericks, Time Machine would be a life saver here. When you use spotlight for some terms, you will notice results from 'Mail & Messages'. If you have opened these folders in Mail, it should have archived these message files on your machine.

If you can figure which folder on your Mac contained these folder, entering Time Machine to retrieve these files may be your best bet. In my case, the folder is Library > Mail > V2 > IMAP-username@imap.gmail.com >

Jan 4, 2014 4:54 PM in response to marcuslaz

Marcus, I am really sorry that you have had this issue, this precisely why i prefer to use gMail through Google. The reason is you can simply click on Google and then G MAIL and you can save everything on there Web Based e mail Servers. Doing it this way of course take an extra step or 2 but there is No Worry about loosing your important Mail. I know this is no consolation after your loss. I honestly think you would be making a big mistake abandoning your Apple products. I have been using there products since 1997 and have delt with many issues over the years some my fault and some were software and other peripherals, but I have never been sorry I staid with them. One example I plugged in a Sandisk portable and lost everything on an older OS-9 machine, so I can understand.

Maverick IMAP and Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.