Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home setup - network switch and 2 Time Capsules

I have an ADSL modem/router (Billion BIPAC 5200G). I have used it previously with wireless turned off. I then used a time capsule in bridge mode so that NAT etc is turned off, and then use it to broadcast wifi and as a backup. It is attached to the modern with ethernet. It worked fine.

I am now in a house with a lot of ethernet ports, linked to a massive hub thing. But it needs a switch to link it all together.

So I am thinking of this setup:

PHONE LINE

to

BILLION ROUTER (Set as a router with wifi turned off)

to

NETWORK SWITCH

to

VARIOUS ethernet enabled devices in different rooms (i.e. printers, Apple TV, TV, Time capsule)

Then I want to use my 2nd time capsule to extend my ground floor network by plugging it in essentially directly into the time capsule via ethernet in roaming mode.

Is this the optimal setup for this? My other idea was to forgo the network switch and do it this way:

PHONE LINE

to

BILLION ROUTER (Set as a router with wifi turned off)

to

VARIOUS ethernet enabled devices INCLUDING the TIME CAPSULE and PRINTER.

then:

To the TIME CAPSULE:

to

VARIOUS ethernet enabled devices INCLUDING Imac, Apple TV and another TIME CAPSULE in roaming mode.

---------

My main questions are: which setup will give me better speeds to all devices. Ie: is the switch even necessary? In my 2nd example, will the first time capsule and printer be available to the Imac.

There seems to be no real advantage to having the TIME CAPSULE in router mode while keeping the BILLION ROUTER as a pass through with NAT off (To avoid Double NAT) except for the guest network capabilities.

If its just simpler to have the network switch, then perhaps that's the way to go. If so: any suggestions on network switches that work well?

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 6:31 AM

Is this the optimal setup for this?

Yes

My other idea was to forgo the network switch and do it this way:

This will work as well. But, you might not have thought about a scenario where the Time Capsule is not working correctly. When/if this happens, the other devices connected to the Time Capsule will not work either.

Better networking and wiring practice would have as many devices as possible connected to the switch. Another bonus is that it makes any troubleshooting much easier.

Since the Time Capsule has Gigabit Ethernet ports, you would want to get a Gigabit Ethernet switch to take advantage of faster Gigabit speeds. Network speed would be the same with or without the switch.

Switches come in 5-port, 8-port, 16-port varieties.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2013 6:31 AM in response to cwliew

Is this the optimal setup for this?

Yes

My other idea was to forgo the network switch and do it this way:

This will work as well. But, you might not have thought about a scenario where the Time Capsule is not working correctly. When/if this happens, the other devices connected to the Time Capsule will not work either.

Better networking and wiring practice would have as many devices as possible connected to the switch. Another bonus is that it makes any troubleshooting much easier.

Since the Time Capsule has Gigabit Ethernet ports, you would want to get a Gigabit Ethernet switch to take advantage of faster Gigabit speeds. Network speed would be the same with or without the switch.

Switches come in 5-port, 8-port, 16-port varieties.

Nov 25, 2013 6:52 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your very quick reply Bob.

Just to be sure I don't stuff this up, I am looking to use my 2nd (previous generation time capsule) to act in Roaming mode to extend my network downstairs. Most of my devices will be networked via ethernet to the switch anyway, but we do have a few laptops, ipads, iphones etc to use wirelessly.

So if my first Time capsule is connected to the switch in bridge mode and is the main one for backups etc, the one downstairs should be connected to my timecapsule DIRECTLY via ethernet? Or can the 2nd Time Capsule be connected to the switch and still work in Roaming mode (This should work in my mind as the switch really just represents an array of ethernet cables really).

Am I getting this right?

Thanks again for your help.

I have settled on upgrading my modem to one with gigbite LAN as well, to improve the connection between it, the switch and any devices that support gigabite ethernet like the TC and new imac etc. I found the Billion 7800NXL which should be fine.

As for switches, I'll just find a 10 port gigabite switch. Is there anything in it for brands? Or are they all basically the same.

Nov 25, 2013 6:59 AM in response to cwliew

As I said previously, you would want to connect as many devices as possible to the switch, but it will work if for some reason you need to connect the downstairs Time Capsule directly to the "main" Time Capsule.

I recommend Netgear and Cisco switches, but I am sure that there are other good choices as well. I would be suspicious of anything that appears to be much cheaper than average.

Nov 25, 2013 7:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob. Appreciate the information.

My plan is to get a Cisco Series 100 8 Port switch for use with my Billion 7800nxl router and then plug in the two timecapsules, imac, apple tv, tv and IP cameras to the switch directly (via the patch hub thing).

That switch has 4 POE which is great for the IP cameras.

Thanks again.

Nov 26, 2013 1:04 AM in response to cwliew

Ok. So here are some issues with this setup so far.

ADSL modem connected to the wall with wifi off. Working as a router attached to a network switch. This network switch is then connected to various rooms in the house as well as directly to the new time capsule (with ac). My old time capsule is attached to a network port far away. So essentially all devices like iMac, two time capsules, Apple TV and TV are connected together using my Cisco unmanaged gigabit network switch.

I am having a lot of trouble using both time capsules. With the setup above, I have configured both time capsules to bridge mode, exact same ssid and password, automatic channel. It doesn't allow me to select ethernet as an option for internet connection, only dchp, ppoe and one more which isn't ethernet.

I can see my old time capsule but not my new one. Interestingly in the airport utility it says that the connection is 'fair' rather than excellent which I thought it would be over ethernet. All cables are cat 6. My switch is a gigabit switch.

My questions are: should I connect my time capsules together directly with ethernet using another available port in my new time capsule. I thought my switch would work better. Also, does one time capsule have to be in router mode instead of having both of them in bridge.

Should I be able to use the hdd on the 2nd (older) time machine as essentially a networked hdd for putting movies and music on, and use my new time capsule as the sole backup (occurring both over ethernet for my iMac and wifi for our laptops)

Thanks for your help.

Nov 26, 2013 1:41 AM in response to cwliew

It doesn't allow me to select ethernet as an option for internet connection, only dchp, ppoe and one more which isn't ethernet.

DHCP is correct setting. .it will use ethernet but the new AC TC has problems.. it needs a crossover cable with some switches. Or you need to return it and get it replaced as there is something wrong with its wan port.. the new AC model needs a hardware revision and about 3 or 4 firmware upgrades before it hits the status of the Gen4 it replaced.

My questions are: should I connect my time capsules together directly with ethernet using another available port in my new time capsule. I thought my switch would work better. Also, does one time capsule have to be in router mode instead of having both of them in bridge.

Both should be in bridge.. but you can rearrange things to see if any of the other devices works better.

You can use the billion or the old TC.. plug the new TC into those.

Bob is correct though.. the switch is the correct thing for everything to be plugged into .. but in home situation what works is more important than what is best. It if fails in all of them then the WAN port is proven faulty.

Should I be able to use the hdd on the 2nd (older) time machine as essentially a networked hdd for putting movies and music on, and use my new time capsule as the sole backup (occurring both over ethernet for my iMac and wifi for our laptops)

Yes, that is ok.. you just need to get the AC version TC actually working properly.

Give us a few screenshots of things.. that really helps to see.

User uploaded file

Click on each unit and show the summary pages.

User uploaded file

Home setup - network switch and 2 Time Capsules

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.