Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there such thing as an iPod Classic 7th Generation?

I am getting extremely confused with this as some retailers offer a 7th Generation of the iPod Classic, but I can't find anything official from Apple regarding an iPod Classic release.

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 8:32 AM

2 replies

Nov 26, 2013 3:10 AM in response to 1898-pfc

Apple does not usually refer to the generation of the iPod Classic. The current version of the Classic was introduced in 2009.

There has been however, a revision to the software, the latest Classic can run firmware (software) Version 2.0.4 PC (for an iPod used with Windows machines) and you sometimes see it referred to as a 6.5G. My iPod Classic, which is 6th generation, introduced in 2008, runs 1.1.2 PC.

So if you need to ensure that you are buying the latest model, look on the iPod itself, or even ask the staff to show you. On my Classic, it's in Settings/About and I then press the centre button until I see the Version. My guess is that the newer iPod is very similar.

Here's a screenshot of Apple's page on identifying iPods:

Ooops!

(Due to an iTunes glitch, I can't put the image into this post. {You know - the one where, if you leave an iPod Classic connected to iTunes, iTunes iteslf locks up and doesn't allow image insertion in the browser, if you leave the iPod connected after the Sync has finished! Yup, I've reported it!}

I'll edit the post after re-booting my computer!

Is there such thing as an iPod Classic 7th Generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.