Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware

I have found Malware connected with Microsoft identity/main/data records/message Sources/OT/OB/39K/x27_39502.olkMsgSource|>PO.zip etc what do you make of this.

This was first identified by Norton antivirus - not that it is any help in removing the virus!

Have sice tried Avast whicj also identifies it and tries to move the virus to "Virus Chest" but I am not convinced the problem has been resolved

Is it time to rebuild or ditch the PC? How vulnerable are Macs to viruses. Could it be that I am using Microsoft for Mac?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 9:54 AM

The malware is most likely a Windows problem, not a Mac's. There are currently no known Mac viruses. Note that when using Windows that Windows is just as vulnerable as an actual Windows PC.

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Protection

An excellent link to read is Tom Reed's Mac Malware Guide.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read Detecting and avoiding malware and spyware.

See these Apple articles:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard and malware detection

OS X Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

OS X Mountain Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

About file quarantine in OS X

If you require anti-virus protection I recommend using VirusBarrier Express 1.1.6 or Dr.Web Light both from the App Store. They're both free, and since they're from the App Store, they won't destabilize the system. (Thank you to Thomas Reed for these recommendations.)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2013 9:54 AM in response to Saturn55

The malware is most likely a Windows problem, not a Mac's. There are currently no known Mac viruses. Note that when using Windows that Windows is just as vulnerable as an actual Windows PC.

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Protection

An excellent link to read is Tom Reed's Mac Malware Guide.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read Detecting and avoiding malware and spyware.

See these Apple articles:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard and malware detection

OS X Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

OS X Mountain Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

About file quarantine in OS X

If you require anti-virus protection I recommend using VirusBarrier Express 1.1.6 or Dr.Web Light both from the App Store. They're both free, and since they're from the App Store, they won't destabilize the system. (Thank you to Thomas Reed for these recommendations.)

Nov 25, 2013 12:57 PM in response to Saturn55

Note that there's no reason to abandon Microsoft Office over this. I personally prefer Pages and Numbers, but that's not a choice that makes much sense for some people.

Regarding the malware, I'm sure that, as Kappy says, it's Windows malware. But just to be sure, what is the name that Norton and Avast call it? Not the file name, but the name of the malware.

Also, note that Norton is not very good at detecting Mac malware, and is well known for bringing a healthy Mac to its knees. You should definitely remove it. The uninstaller is part of the installer, so if you no longer have the installer, you will need to re-download it from Symantec's web site.

Malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.