Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt freezes my Macbook Pro after connecting external HDD

Hi,

I recently bought a new External HDD Drive called: LaCIE Rugged USB3 1TB with Thunderbolt cable and USB3 cable. Whenever I connect the drive using the Thunderbolt cable (and I bought it because I need a super high speed for saving my data), my Macbook Pro becomes frozen and I have to force shutdown 😟

Kindly I need your appreciated help.

My Specs:

- OS X Mavericks 10.9

- MacBook Pro Retina Display (Earlier 2013)

- 2 Thunderbolt ports

- 2 USB3.0

- HDMI

- SD Slot

- intel based, CPU core i5

- 256 GB SSD

- 8 GB RAM

Big thanks,

Joe

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 10:00 AM

12 replies

Dec 4, 2013 11:54 PM in response to JoF911

I have similar problem with a macbook pro 15" retina (2013 spring) and 10.9

I have the same disk and sometimes, when connecting it does not shows up, but I don't get a system freeze. Instead I get the system freeze sometimes connecting to the thunderbolt either an external video (Apple video) or the ethernet to thunderbolt adapter and I have to force a shutdown. This always soon after a wake from sleep.

Not many with this problem?

Is it a faulty hardware?

Thanks,

Luca

Jan 7, 2014 8:47 AM in response to JoF911

Same problem here... MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013 running 10.8.5

I connect my Lacie rugged 1TB via thunderbolt and my macbook pro crashes instantly. Does not happen every time - sometimes it connects without a problem. I happen to have been using both USB ports at the time of crash - I'm not sure if it has anything to do with that?

Very annoying.. computers less than a year old shouldn't be crashing for no reason!

Jan 13, 2014 2:08 PM in response to JoF911

Ive had the same problem with my MBP Retina 15" late 2013. My screen just freezed and the my MBP just restarted and showed me the screen wher it say's your computer shut down because bla bla bla...

Zapping my PRAM worked for me so far, but i think that i wont be using my hard drive anytime soon...

Specs

Macbook Pro Retina late 2013

OSX 10.9.1

2.6 GHz i7

1TB SSD

16GB RAM

Apr 9, 2014 12:58 PM in response to Sorro2

Hi,

After upgrading to 10.9.2, 2 things were resolved:

The above issue as well as the the launchpad stutter issue.

Sorro2, I recommend that you do the PRAM reset that might solve your issue as well after you did the upgrade. Please follow the steps for correct resetting of PRAM (from apple)

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Jun 4, 2014 10:00 AM in response to JoF911

This RIDICULOUS issue has been going on for me for months. Resetting PRAM has made no difference. Since I'm still under the warranty, I took it in and they replaced my logic board, display assembly, and two other internal connector parts...all for nothing. Still now, EVERY TIME a Mini Displayport to DVI cable is connected, it runs fine on both displays for 5 seconds then crashes, requiring a restart every time. I am considering wiping everything I have and seeing if a clean install will make a difference, but I have little hope that it will. I have no idea how I will ever fix this, as replacement of key components of my computer has still done nothing to alleviate the problem!

My specs are:

2nd Gen 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)

2.4 GHz i5 Haswell Processor

256 Gb SSD

8 Gb RAM

OS X 10.9.3

Thunderbolt freezes my Macbook Pro after connecting external HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.