Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing attachments - winmail.dat instead

I have checked the RTF setting and it does not apply in this case. (I am sending myself attachment from work.) I am trying to receive .doc and .pdf. This has only been going on for a few weeks. My attachments are removed and in their place is a winmail.dat attachment. What changed? Help!

iPhone 4S

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 10:37 AM

21 replies

Dec 17, 2013 7:32 PM in response to BamaNana

Winmail.dat files are attachments sent by Microsoft mail applications (Outlook, Outlook Express or Exchange) on a proprietary format called TNEF (transport neutral encapsulation format). Being a non-standard attachment format, users from other e-mail clients (like Thunderbird or Foxmail) cannot natively read them.

But Enolsoft Winmail Viewer can help Mac users open it.

Jan 11, 2014 4:48 PM in response to Allan Sampson

I agree. But both of these clown companies know what is going on. I've been migrating over to my mac book pro for about a year. Been putting it off mostly because I don't know enough about macs. but the more i use it the more i like it. except for little stuff like this. Which combined with iCloud not working properly (another gut wrenching issue that is now upgraded in support to the engineers) is driving me nuts.

Just make it work guys! Play nice. Or maybe play smarter. Obviously someone knows about the issue, Letter Opener, so apple should just figure it out. Be the bigger person and solve problems for millions of people. I can't go back to every outlook user and ask them to change their email sending habits. Most of them don't even know what they are doing. The smart people who write the code need to figure it out.

Mar 31, 2014 6:31 PM in response to JimHdk

Ok, I did a little experiment. I am on a MBP that dual boots. I have Outlook 2011 on the Mac (Mavericks) side and Outlook 2010 on the Windows (7 Pro) side.

Both Outlooks are going through our office Exchange Server 2010.

If I send an email with a jpeg attachment to my wife's Mac using Mavericks she gets the attachment as a windat file.

If I send an email with a jpeg attachment to my wife's Mac using Windows 7 Pro she get the attachment as it was sent (jpeg).

Anyone care to explain why?

Thanks

Missing attachments - winmail.dat instead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.