Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete music from my ipad air

I must be stupid but I can't figure it out. Any clues please.

imac, imac

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 7:58 AM

Hello monmonmon,

I wonder if you are seeing your iTunes in the Cloud purchases in the Music app on your iPad. The items you see with the iCloud icon next to them are purchased songs that you can stream from iTunes in the Cloud, so they are not actually on your device to delete them.

You can choose to hide all your iTunes in the Cloud purchases in the iPad settings by going to Settings>Music and turning off Show All Music:

Just show music that’s been downloaded from iCloud. Go to Settings > Music, then turn off Show All Music.

iPad User Guide - Music

http://help.apple.com/ipad/7/#/iPad99f373c1

If there are just specific songs you would like to hide, you can hide them using the iTunes Store on your computer so they will be hidden on your iPad as well:

To hide your purchases

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC.
  2. From the Store menu, choose Store > Sign In, and then enter your Apple ID and password.
  3. Go to the iTunes Store.
  4. Click Purchased from the Quick Links section on the right side of the iTunes Store.
  5. Choose a content type by clicking on Music, TV Shows, Apps, or Books from top.
  6. Hover your cursor over the item you want to hide.
  7. You will see an "X" either to the right or left top corner of the item. User uploaded file
  8. Click the "X" to hide that item. A confirmation dialog will appear once you click the "X."

Once you hide the songs on your computer, I recommend quitting and relaunching the Music app on your iPad. You can find more information about hiding purchases here:

iTunes Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4919

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2013 7:58 AM in response to monmonmon

Hello monmonmon,

I wonder if you are seeing your iTunes in the Cloud purchases in the Music app on your iPad. The items you see with the iCloud icon next to them are purchased songs that you can stream from iTunes in the Cloud, so they are not actually on your device to delete them.

You can choose to hide all your iTunes in the Cloud purchases in the iPad settings by going to Settings>Music and turning off Show All Music:

Just show music that’s been downloaded from iCloud. Go to Settings > Music, then turn off Show All Music.

iPad User Guide - Music

http://help.apple.com/ipad/7/#/iPad99f373c1

If there are just specific songs you would like to hide, you can hide them using the iTunes Store on your computer so they will be hidden on your iPad as well:

To hide your purchases

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC.
  2. From the Store menu, choose Store > Sign In, and then enter your Apple ID and password.
  3. Go to the iTunes Store.
  4. Click Purchased from the Quick Links section on the right side of the iTunes Store.
  5. Choose a content type by clicking on Music, TV Shows, Apps, or Books from top.
  6. Hover your cursor over the item you want to hide.
  7. You will see an "X" either to the right or left top corner of the item. User uploaded file
  8. Click the "X" to hide that item. A confirmation dialog will appear once you click the "X."

Once you hide the songs on your computer, I recommend quitting and relaunching the Music app on your iPad. You can find more information about hiding purchases here:

iTunes Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4919

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Nov 27, 2013 11:42 AM in response to sheila_m.

Thanks for your reply. The problem was a strange one, none of the music that was downloaded on to my ipad air would delete. i opened settings, usage and selected itunes on the ipad and then deleted all the music data. When i opened itunes up again on the ipad ,and one song was left which wouldn't delete.

i cured it by downloading a song from the cloud, made sure that song was selected in tunes, closed it down and deleted all the music data again, this worked. i can not delete songs on the ipad with a swipe.

Thanks again.

Jan 11, 2014 3:36 PM in response to sheila_m.

Hello Sheila,

I have a question regarding this same issue (I think it's the same) Is there a way to delete individual songs from my ipad 5? Without synching to my laptop..just want to delete from my iPads music app. Swiping doesn't do anything. And there is no "edit" button... Seems odd to me that I can't do this. Or am I just overlooking something obvious. Please help. Thanks :)

Mar 5, 2016 1:39 PM in response to monmonmon

Open iTunes music ! Tap on artist or cd. Too the right on your screen hold down on these three dots! ... For about three seconds then let go ! You will be asked what you want to do! That easy!!! Be sure to do this at the top of your screen. Delete, make a play list . By the way if you just need to delete one song go to that tidle & hold down on those thee dots too the right of your screen! ...

How to delete music from my ipad air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.