Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off mouse scrolling completely in Mountain Lion?

After installing Mountain Lion 10.8.5, I have a slightly different Magic Mouse preferences window than I did with Snow Leopard. There is no longer an option for entirely turning off scrolling. This is really annoying while working in Photoshop as the cursor will periodically "jump". I also do not have "Universal Access" in my System Preferences. How do I turn off scrolling?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 4:53 PM

4 replies

Dec 9, 2013 12:29 AM in response to AlfaRick

If it will bring attention, I too want to know this. I record games for review, and its kind of hard to play such things as minecraft when the slightest twich of my fingure scrolls me through all of my stuff.

Why remove something like this!? It's one thing when people ask to have something, why does it seem like each new apple update I get, removes something that seems basic, easy and intuitive to have?

Please how do you turn off scrolling ><

May 1, 2014 3:55 PM in response to AlfaRick

In case anyone comes here looking I made an applescript that does the job. You could automate this using automator so use a simple keyboard shortcut to activate it for easy access.

Script:

tell application "System Preferences"

activate

set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.universalaccess"

end tell

tell application "System Events"

tell application process "System Preferences"

tell table 1 of scroll area 1 of window "Accessibility"

delay 0.2

select (row 10)

end tell

clickbutton 5 of window 1

delay 0.1

if value of checkbox 1 of sheet 1 of window "Accessibility" is 1 then

click checkbox 1 of sheet 1 of window "Accessibility"

else

click checkbox 1 of sheet 1 of window "Accessibility"

end if

click button 1 of sheet 1 of window "Accessibility"

end tell

end tell

tell application "System Preferences"

quit

end tell

----------------------------------

To do the automator method all you have to do is launch it and select "Service" Then set "service receives selected" to "no input". Search in the action bar for "Run Applescript". Paste the script code there and save. Now in System Preferences> Keyboard> shortcuts there should be a catagory called General. Under that should be whatever you named your automator service. Make sure its checked and then just click and add a keyboard shortcut!

Hope someone finds it useful. I made this for my brother because he hates having scroll on for games as well.

Turn off mouse scrolling completely in Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.