Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone help with iMovie

Totally frustrated! I find it impossible to cut and paste parts of my video clips or to merge video clips or to move parts of a clip.Isn't that what video editing is supposed to be all about?

The help topics for iMovie aren't even in an understandable/make sense kiind of language.

Can soneone help with some simple procedures to do the above? Or do they not exist?

Thanks for any help. I'm ready to give up.

Also, why is there no iMovie 11 anywhere? I've seen references to it, but all the App Store has is 10.

iMovie '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iMovie 10 - can't seem to find 11

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 5:34 PM

There is no version 11. The latest version of iMovie is 10.0.1. iMovie 9 shipped as part of iLife 11, so some people mistakenly call it iMovie 11.

I'm not really understanding why you can't copy and paste or cut and paste clips or parts of clips from one part of the timeline to another. Click on a clip. Choose copy or cut from the edit menu. Click on the timeline where you want the clip pasted, and choose paste from the edit menu. If you want to copy/cut a segment of video, click and hold where you want to begin, then drag to the right until you've selected the segment you want to cut or copy. Then click in the timeline where you want it pasted.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2013 5:34 PM in response to fredfrommccormick

There is no version 11. The latest version of iMovie is 10.0.1. iMovie 9 shipped as part of iLife 11, so some people mistakenly call it iMovie 11.

I'm not really understanding why you can't copy and paste or cut and paste clips or parts of clips from one part of the timeline to another. Click on a clip. Choose copy or cut from the edit menu. Click on the timeline where you want the clip pasted, and choose paste from the edit menu. If you want to copy/cut a segment of video, click and hold where you want to begin, then drag to the right until you've selected the segment you want to cut or copy. Then click in the timeline where you want it pasted.

Nov 25, 2013 8:06 PM in response to Alan Cook2

Thanks Alan,

The info about 10 vs 11 is helpful.

On the rest, that's helpful too. It kind of tells me I must be off base somehow. I've tried all the copying, cutting, pasting and dragging and none of it works because when I drag a selected part or all of a clip, it doesn't work and when I copy a part and then click to paste it, nothing happens and the cut and the paste and the insert are always grayed out. It makes sense what you're saying about the selecting and cutting or copying or pasting. That's always standard procedure. That's why I'm so frustrated.

Maybe I don't know exactly what the "timeline" is. ???

What I have is 5 clips from one stage show that I converted to .mov files and 6 clips from another that I also converted. Then I imported them into iMovie as 2 new events and I tried doing the editing on each of the events, deleting some frames and trying to copy some from one to the other. That didn't work, so I put both shows (events) together in the updated projects folder and nothing still worked.

I remember when I did this last year, I made it work somehow, but I sure don't get it now. I guess maybe another part that I'm missing is how to get them into a project and then to a finalized movie. None of the pieces seem to fit this time.

I sure appreciate any more help you can give me.

Thanks so much

Fred

Apr 25, 2015 10:19 PM in response to fredfrommccormick

Just a quick note to thank Fred for asking the questions here. (I know the post was made a couple years back).

iMovie can be very confusing and the replies in here are quite helpful. There are other confusing areas of course, but the ones asked about in this thread bedevil me each new time I try to use iMovie, starting with iMovie '08. Prior versions were much more intuitive to the occasional user.

May 27, 2016 1:10 AM in response to Matthew Morgan

"... If you want to copy/cut a segment of video, click and hold where you want to begin, then drag to the right until you've selected the segment you want to cut or copy. "

I have been trying to copy part of the video in iMovie 10 for 2 days until gave up and started to look on forums. Looks like user experience has been changed totally compared to iMovie 9.x and you have to study EVERYTHING from scratch in iMovie 10.

<Edited by Host>

Can anyone help with iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.