Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13" Macbook pro (2010) has video display problems - I have read here that there are remedies offered for 15", but my smaller model seems to have the same problems. Screen is now going black. Are we also eligible for free services to fix the problem?

I just started having problems with black screens, at first it was only when I went to full screen, but now it seems to be more prevalent. Just tried to play a Hulu show and only got a black screen, with audio working fine. DVD player will not play. I downloaded the VCL option, which seemed to work OK yesterday, but Hulu was working yesterday as well. I have a 13" Mackbook pro bought in September 2010. Any suggested remedies would be most welcome! Winter is coming on and I watch more videos in the colder months. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 5:55 PM

3 replies

Nov 25, 2013 7:32 PM in response to mega16

The problem described in TS4088 is a latent defect in the graphics chips in certain batches installed in those 15" Macs during certain months. The problem was there from the moment they were assembled, but it has taken later installs of Mac OS X to discover that they had some problems, and a separate diagnostic to find them.

It does not apply to your Mac, because yours does not have that chip inside.

Nov 27, 2013 10:56 AM in response to CMCSK

Have no idea what "zapping the pram" might be. I have not tried much, other than downloading VCL the first time it happened. DVD player still does not work, but Hulu is back and VCL also is performing well with most DVDs, so I have not tried anything else in the last few days. I read one place that I could reinstall the DVD player, but have not yet tried that (not sure where my original install discs are, but could find them with some work).

13" Macbook pro (2010) has video display problems - I have read here that there are remedies offered for 15", but my smaller model seems to have the same problems. Screen is now going black. Are we also eligible for free services to fix the problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.