Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Had to force restart my Mac during Windows 7 install because of stuck "Completing Installation" step...

Hello,

Yesterday, I was reinstalling Windows 7 after I had done a clean OS X Mavericks installation a month earlier as part of my yearly spring cleaning of my Mac. I used my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (no Service Pack included) install DVD. The initial part of the installation went fine, I was able to format the "BOOTCAMP" partition created in Bootcamp Assitant and the Windows 7 installer copied and expanded the installation files successfully. The problem came when the computer rebooted to complete the Windows 7 installation. It was here where the installation stalled on the "Completing Installation" message, I know this process takes a time so I let it run for half an hour, however after that time passed I noticed there was a problem. For one the DVD drive which usually spins at the beggining of that "Completing Installation" reboot and then stops for a few minutes to then start spinning again did not spun for the expected second time. Then I noticed that the mouse pointer and trackpad were not responsive during the installation, indicating something was wrong because in all my previous installations the mouse pointer and trackpad remain responsive to user inputs during the completing installation step. Given that I could not do anything with the mouse pointer to cancel the installation, I had no other option than to force reboot my Mac.

After force rebooting I returned to my OS X Mavericks partition and delete the Bootcamp partiton. As a safety measure, I decided to download a Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit ISO image and burn it into a standard sized DVD (used Disk Utility and burned at the slowest speed available (2x) and try installing Windows 7 from it. When the iso download finished, I burned the image to a DVD and then rebooted the computer. When I came back to my Mac, I took the burned DVD with Windows 7 SP1 and put it into my DVD and initiated the Bootcamp Assistant, selected my partition size and proceeded with the install. The installer booted correctly from the burned iso. The installer formatted the "BOOTCAMP" partition, copied, and expanded the Windows installation files correctly. The computer then rebooted to procceed and complete with the "Completing Installation" message. This time the installation completed correctly and as expected. Also the drive spun at the beggining, then stopped, and then continued as it should have. Most importantly the mouse cursor and trackpad remained responsive through that installation step. During the third and final reboot I was able to create my user account, set Windows Update settings, put my product key, and date and time settings. The Bootcamp drivers also installed correctly, and Windows Updates did the same.

My question comes in regard whether or not it was prudent to force reboot my computer as the Windows installation was stuck in the "Completing Installation" portion and the mouse pointer and trackpad were unresponsive. Also should I consider that my hard drive got damaged by this action and whether or not a zero-out of the hard drive and a new reinstall of OS X and Windows 7 would be in order...

Thanks for your time!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Windows 7, i5; 4GB; 500GB HD; NVIDIA 330m 256

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 6:21 PM

There are no replies.

Had to force restart my Mac during Windows 7 install because of stuck "Completing Installation" step...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.