Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since updating to iOS7.0.4, my iPhone 4S rarely plays text sounds or in-app sounds. Also volume control is no longer functioning using side buttons. When can we expect a fix Apple?

Have done recovery, reset settings, reset content and settings. Nothing changes the fact that its 7.0.4.

Ringtone sound works. Can adjust ringtone sound in settings but it wont play text sounds from in settings. Definitely appears to be a firmware bug.

Can someone from Apple ackowledge this issue please and advise how long till it is fixed? I am missing important texts that i need to be recieving.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 11:43 PM

7 replies

Nov 26, 2013 1:58 PM in response to mgoksoy

Hi mgoksoy,

Cheers for your reply.

It doesn't appear to affect every 4S. I don't know if theres specific batches it affects or maybe its location based, but i have a friend who has the same phone as me and theirs did exactly the same thing only after doing the firmware update. I'm pretty confident it is a bug. Looking around on google, it seems like its happening to a lot of other 4S users.

I have done a settings reset, didn't fix it. Did a settings and content reset, didn't fix it. Did a full recovery back to the backup i did when i first purchased it, didn't fix it. None of these things changes the firmware.

I am pretty appalled that apple would release a firmware upgrade with such an obvious problem for 4S users. Did they not test it first? Now i am finding multiple texts from people asking me things hours after they messaged me because the sounds don't work. Not impressed.😠

Nov 26, 2013 2:06 PM in response to madasacutsnake

You are missing the last two user troubleshooting steps here. First, restore as a new device, not from a backup. This will put the phone in an iOS only configuration, and not introduce anything from your backup. If it works after this, this means there is corrupt data in your backup that is causing the problem. If that restore does not work, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar at Apple to get the device checked.

As the other poster stated, we have an iPhone 4s here in the house and have no problems. We have a total of 5 iPhones, a 4, 4s, 5c and 2-5s. All are on iOS 7.0.4, and all work flawlessly. I'm not saying you are not having a problem, but I don't see Apple creating a fix when the number of users experiencing a problem is small. Hard to determine what to fix.

Nov 26, 2013 3:09 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks ChrisJ4203. Can you suggest how i go about restoring as a new device? I did a full reset then plugged into itunes and it asked if i want to setup as a new device or use a backup. I have tried doing both. New device setup didn't work and also using backup didn't work.

It appears i will now be travelling 100kms to my nearest genius bar.😐 Awesome.

Nov 28, 2013 4:57 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Guys,

So I took it into the Genius bar and they did a test on the phone and just replaced it. Said there was a bit of dust inside but other than than everything looked fine. They didn't say it was a firmware issue. but they replaced the phone so now i am happy and recieving text messages again.

Cheers for your comments and suggestions.

Since updating to iOS7.0.4, my iPhone 4S rarely plays text sounds or in-app sounds. Also volume control is no longer functioning using side buttons. When can we expect a fix Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.