Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2013 with 30" Apple Cinema Display

Does anyone know if you can use the Mac Pro 2013 (the tube) with the 30" Apple Cinema Display using Apples "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter"? Thanks.

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 2:52 AM

9 replies

Nov 27, 2013 12:26 AM in response to remoo

I'm confused here. Why would you think the display port wouldn't be compatible? Apple documentation says that all thunderbolt ports, versions 1 & 2, act as a mini display port....which has the same configuration as a regular display port....for which apple sells adapters. It even says you don't have to waste your money on an expensive thunderbolt cable if you just want to do displayport functions with it. You can't daisy-chain it to other thunderbolt devices down the line then, though. I'm under the impression that all 6 thunderbolt ports can act as a minidisplay port. The original technology behind the display port was that it could change pin config to different outputs depending on what adapter was plugged into it.

Nov 27, 2013 12:31 AM in response to remoo

"A single legacy Mini DisplayPort monitor or other device of any kind may be connected directly or at the very end of the chain. Thunderbolt is interoperable with DP 1.1a compatible devices. When connected to a DP-compatible device, the Thunderbolt port can provide a native DisplayPort signal with 4 lanes of output data at no more than 5.4 Gbit/s per Thunderbolt lane."

That is from the Wikipedia article on thunderbolt.

Nov 29, 2013 2:04 AM in response to remoo

remoo wrote:

Does anyone know if you can use the Mac Pro 2013 (the tube) with the 30" Apple Cinema Display using Apples "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter"? Thanks.

Yes, it will.

Pro tip: Use an iPhone/iPad wall charger to power the adaptor. Using the computer to power it can cause image distortion when an additional high power device is plugged into the same USB system.

Nov 29, 2013 1:12 PM in response to The hatter

18. Can I connect a Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to a Thunderbolt port on my Thunderbolt-equipped Mac?

Yes. A Mini DisplayPort display or a display connecting with a Mini DisplayPort to VGA, DVI, or HDMI adapter will work just like it was connecting to a Mini DisplayPort connector when plugging in directly to the Thunderbolt connector on your Apple computer. Click here for more information on Mini DisplayPort connections and adapters.

19. How do I connect my Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to my Thunderbolt-equipped Mac when I have other Thunderbolt devices connected?

When connecting a Mini DisplayPort display or a display using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to a Thunderbolt peripheral (except as described in question 14), make sure the display is connected at the end of the Thunderbolt chain. You can use only one Mini DisplayPort device in the Thunderbolt chain.

Note: Systems with more than one Thunderbolt port, like an iMac, can have more than one Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor connected with a Mini DisplayPort adapter connected as each Thunderbolt port can support one Mini DisplayPort display.

Mac Pro 2013 with 30" Apple Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.