9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2013 4:12 PM by Skydiver119
moh2o Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Hello, I want to be able to transfer files from my USB 2 Thumbdrive to a friends iPad. Is this possible?

Is there a iPad to usb adapter? I am not clear on this. I looked it up and I see that there is a lightning to 30 pin adapter. Don't know what to do with that.

anyone.?

thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Aluminum Macbook pro 7.1
  • 1. Re: usb adapter for ipad
    Alfred DeRose Level 5 Level 5 (5,795 points)

No, the USB Camera connection Kit only allows importing of photos and videos from cameras and SD cards formatted in a particular way. The iPad does not have a user-accessible file system and does not support moving files to and from a USB device.

• 2. Re: usb adapter for ipad

Ok thanks,

So can an iPad user connect with my macbook, and move a file onto the iPad without having an iTunes account on my macbook?

I just want to share home made video and some music that I my niece produced on her own.

thanks

• 3. Re: usb adapter for ipad
    Skydiver119 Level 7 Level 7 (21,255 points)

No. Your best bet would be to put the items you want to share up on a service like Dropbox or other online sharing and allow the person to download them onto their device. I'm not sure how that works with music, I've never tried it, but should work for the video.

The iPad is meant to sync to only one computer, so when your friend tries to plug his device into your computer iTunes will try to wipe it.

• 4. Re: usb adapter for ipad
    Texas Mac Man Level 8 Level 8 (45,805 points)

You can use a USB flash drive & the camera connection kit.

Plug the USB flash drive (works the same with an SD card) into your computer & create a new folder titled DCIM. Then put your movie/photo files into the folder. The files must have a filename with exactly 8 characters long (no spaces) plus the file extension (i.e., my-movie.mov; DSCN0164.jpg).

Now plug the flash drive into the iPad using the camera connection kit. Open the Photos app, the movie/photo files should appear & you can import. (You can not export using the camera connection kit.)

Using The iPad Camera Connection Kit

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4101

Secrets of the iPad Camera Connection Kit

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57401068-285/secrets-of-the-ipad-camera-conn ection-kit/

 Cheers, Tom

• 5. Re: usb adapter for ipad
    UG64 Level 2 Level 2 (150 points)

Music and videos will play through the Dropbox app, but you can not import music to the Music app.  Videos will get saved to Photos if the iPad can play them.

• 6. Re: usb adapter for ipad

Thanks you guys, tons of good info here. As usual despite the fact that apple makes good products, they continue with the legacy of making everything highly restrictive. Less freedom.

• 7. Re: usb adapter for ipad
    Alfred DeRose Level 5 Level 5 (5,795 points)

It's also why we don't have viruses and other malware that plagues other platforms. It's a trade off I am happy to make.

• 8. Re: usb adapter for ipad

Ok, yeah I know. That is why I also use Apple products,

But ,,really, is having a USB port or SD card slot going to ruin the functionality of an iPad?

• 9. Re: usb adapter for ipad
    Skydiver119 Level 7 Level 7 (21,255 points)

It would necessitate having a file manager which the iPad does not. And if it gets a file manager then the iPad open itself up to viruses and malware because most of those use a device's file manager to spread.

So it wouldn't ruin the functionality but it would significantly change it.