Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics Card Not Recognized under Mavericks Update? MacBook Pro 8,2

Every since I updated my macbook to mavericks, my dedicated graphics card is not recognized under system profiler or any software on the computer. I have the Macbook Pro 8,2 (late 2011) and the upgraded dedicated GeForce graphics card from the factory. My system is just running off of the integrated intel graphics at this point and there is no option to switch back in system preferences. Is my card just dead in there or did mavericks ignore it? I have no other operating systems to check. Should I just make an applestore appointment and get it looked at?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9), Upgraded

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 8:26 AM

2 replies

Jun 27, 2014 7:26 AM in response to DarKear

Found the solution ... finally!

Go to your system preferences - energy saver and then check if your Graphics setting is set to »higher performance«. Somehow the update to Mavericks change this setting to »better battery life«

Now both cards are recognized and running ... however, watch out: since I changed that setting, my fans are going crazy! ... so I'm not sure if I should keep it. It would be much easier if one could change the setting all the time without the need to logout and login again ... well, Apple though good isn't the Holy Grail 😉

Graphics Card Not Recognized under Mavericks Update? MacBook Pro 8,2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.