Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active Window/Airplay as external monitor

When I activate Airplay to my AppleTV (as a extended monitor), the active window remains on my laptop. It should toss the active window up to the AppleTV screen, since that is my active workspace. IOW, I want it to behave as if I plugged in a physical monitor.

Thank you for your attention.

(And excuse my pidgen terminology.)

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 9:19 AM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2013 11:19 AM in response to Darin Simmer

AirPlay displays can act in two ways: extending the desktop or mirroring the desktop. If you have AirPlay set to extend the desktop, you will have, in effect, two independent displalys which you can move windows back and forth between. Try dragging the window you want on the AirPlay display off the right side of your computer's screen. If you use it in mirroring mode, the contents of your Mac's display will be mirrored on the AirPlay screen and you will not have to move windows for them to be visible on the AirPlay display.

Nov 26, 2013 12:16 PM in response to safari rss

I am aware of this, and I must currently drag the window (up) to the TV. I assume this is not how it is to work. Here is why:

Upon Airplay activation, the active application (i.e. QuickTime) and the mouse move to the extended monitor (TV), but it leaves the active QT window down at the laptop.

It is very disorienting to have the mouse and application populate to the TV, but not the active window.

Nov 26, 2013 12:32 PM in response to Darin Simmer

Only windows that were last on that display. For instance, if I have a Quicktime video open on the AirPlay display then close the quicktime window, the next time that videos opens with the AirPlay display connected it will open on the AirPlay display (it's last open position). Additionally, if you have a window that was on an external or AirPlay display when that display was disconnected, when you reconnect the AirPlay display the window will return to its previous position.

What I think you are encountering is an intended behaviour in 10.9, where windows try and restore to their last commanded position, and, in your case, one (or more) or the windows was last placed on the AirPlay display, so it moves there when you connect the AirPlay display.

Active Window/Airplay as external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.