Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do if there is no Mavericks-compatible driver available for my Canon printer?

I updated to OS X Mavericks recently, and now I cannot print. I tried going to Canon for an updated driver for my MP830 printer. They don't make one and referred me to Apple. So I'm asking Apple to update Mavericks with a fix so that my printer will work. If anyone else has any low-cost (free) solutions, I would appreciate it, because I can't afford to buy a new printer, and I need my printer/scanner to work.

iMac G5 (20-inch), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 12:54 PM

JeanmarieTodd wrote:

I updated to OS X Mavericks recently, and now I cannot print. I tried going to Canon for an updated driver for my MP830 printer. They don't make one and referred me to Apple. So I'm asking Apple to update Mavericks with a fix so that my printer will work. If anyone else has any low-cost (free) solutions, I would appreciate it, because I can't afford to buy a new printer, and I need my printer/scanner to work.

Post in the Product Feedback website. Otherwise, call Canon and ask them if they plan on providing drivers that will work in Maverick.

These are user-to-user forums where everyday folk (volunteers) post questions and offer answers (technical support) to each other.

Apple involvement. Apple may respond to questions but does not formally provide technical support on the Site. Any information that is provided by Apple or Apple employees is offered on an "AS IS" basis without warranties of any kind.

User uploaded file

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2013 12:54 PM in response to JeanmarieTodd

JeanmarieTodd wrote:

Post in the Product Feedback website. Otherwise, call Canon and ask them if they plan on providing drivers that will work in Maverick.

These are user-to-user forums where everyday folk (volunteers) post questions and offer answers (technical support) to each other.

Apple involvement. Apple may respond to questions but does not formally provide technical support on the Site. Any information that is provided by Apple or Apple employees is offered on an "AS IS" basis without warranties of any kind.

User uploaded file

Nov 26, 2013 1:05 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

THanks for the replies.

I did post this issue to Product Feedback.

I haven't called Canon yet. I'll try.

The printer is connected to another computer, my partner's, and mine is wirelessly connect via our wifi network. So I am not directly connected to the printer. This was never an issue before, but he has been able to get the printer to print from his computer, although the scanning function is now not working after Mavericks update. I have not tried resetting the printing system but will do so. Thanks.

Nov 26, 2013 1:47 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I did repair permissions and restarted my computer yesterday. Restarted again today.

Also, I just spoke with someone at Canon. My model of printer (MP830) is not on the list of printers that will be supported. So, no new driver for Mavericks. This *****!

I'm trying to add my printer back, and it's no longer coming up (it did earlier today) as an option. If I use IPP, what IP address do I put in the address line?

Thanks you guys for attempting to help!

Nov 26, 2013 1:55 PM in response to JeanmarieTodd

The IP address of the printer - you'll probably need to interrogate its control panel to get the info. On my Brother printer it is Menu>General Setup>Print Reports - it should then auto print out the detail (most multi-function systems seem to have similar menus - perhaps yours has).

P.S. you can safely ignore: "Group differs on "Library/Printers"; should be 80; group is 0." I think we all get that one.

Good luck (getting late here)!

What to do if there is no Mavericks-compatible driver available for my Canon printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.