Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing icons from desktop

I found an app. that enabled me to move almost all of the icons on my desktop elsewhere. However, it still left four icons, and now that I've gotten rid of most of the clutter, I want to leave only the Macintosh HD icon on my desktop. The four icons I want to remove are my external hard drive, Snow Leopard, AppZapper, and Onyx.

I can eject all four of the icons that I want to remove from my desktop by right-clicking. My question is, will that remove them only from my desktop, or might it also remove some of their supporting software?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 1:07 PM

User uploaded file

Go to Finder>preferences>General and uncheck all but "hard disk"

Out of curiousity, why did you need an application to move your other icons off the desktop? why couldn't you just drag and drop?

3 replies

Nov 26, 2013 1:19 PM in response to Niku

I hope this doesn't duplicate what I seem to have lost, but you deserve a reply, so here it is again.

Thanks for that. Your remedy left Snow Leopard behind, but I can live with two icons. As to your "drag and drop," comment, which I just noticed, I never thought of that. If I had dragged them to the trash, which is what I assume you're saying, I would have had the same worries. I assume that you are saying that it would have been perfectly safe to have disposed of the icons in the trash. If so, why did you suggest the remedy you did? Just to be sure, can I trash the Snow Leopard icon without fear of causing unintended damage?

Nov 26, 2013 2:05 PM in response to Niku

I meant, in place of the icons you took off the desktop, not the ones remaining. The way I showed you is the only way to hide the ones that still remained on your desktop after using that app.

It depends what the Snow Leopard disk is doing.

if it is an install of SL then yes you can delete it/eject it.

no, moving the icons that still remain to the trash, would not have solved your issue. The only way is the way I showed you.

Removing icons from desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.