Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where to buy Airport Card

Where can I buy an Air Port Extreme Card 661-2755 ? This is the number that I was told to get for EMac 1.42 GH2, Power PC G4

Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply
11 replies

Dec 4, 2013 6:05 PM in response to Shirlbob2013

I recieved the extreme air port card and installed it. I can't get the emac to recognize it.I really thought that would be the end of my internet problems. l Iooked in the "about this mac" and looked in the " more info" and the air port card is not listed in the listing. I really don't know what else I can do. Any suggestions? Is there something that I'm not doing right or not seeing?

Dec 4, 2013 7:08 PM in response to Shirlbob2013

Seating the Airport card in an eMac takes enough force to actullay cause the 50-pound/22-kilo computer to slide across the table. Your experience is quite common. It is an unexpectedly high force that is required. You may wish to have a friend support the eMac form the back while you push the card from the front.

Give it a try and please let us know if that worked.

Dec 5, 2013 4:53 PM in response to Shirlbob2013

Allan, I used your advice on installing air port card and it recognized the card. I went through the proceures of installing and putting the pass word in and I get the "invalid pass word". I called Verizon up and he said that the emac is out dated and not internet combatable. I assume that even if it is an 2005 emac that it should be able to still go on the internet. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions? It would be very appricated.

Dec 5, 2013 6:02 PM in response to Shirlbob2013

I am sure the Verizon person is totally wrong (stated thusly to avoid saying the person is at maximum capacity of waste material!). That Airport Extreme card was used until 2009 so I don't think it is "too old." And there are plenty of people here using even older Airport cards in eMacs. I suspect it is a router setting or encryption issue. Example: some routers that can broadcast b, g, and n speeds can be set to broadcast only one. If that setting was to limit speeds to "b" or "n" it would have to be changed for the "g" rated AE card to use it.

Are you fighting a proximity problem? According to the MacTracker database, the AE card has a max range of 150 feet (45 m) when doing wireless "b" but only 50 feet (15 m) under the faster wireless "g."

What may be best at this point, assuming BD doesn't have a suggestion, is to post in the Airport forum here:

AirPort

being sure to give the name and model of your wireless router. Keep both threads open and, if I see BD, I'll ask him to take another look. I don't have Airport in either of our eMacs. I am trying to use a USB 2.0 dongle on the 1.42 eMac but got interrupted by knee replacement surgery this fall; not much progress until I can get enough strength back in that leg to pack a massive computer to my usual work area!

Dec 9, 2013 3:33 PM in response to Shirlbob2013

The emac that I have is with the air port extreme card that I installed say's that I'm conected to the internet with the verizon wifi network. The conection that I have is very good. The internet that I'm useing is with the imac and is a very good conection.

The IP address from the Imac that I'm using is the same numbers that I put in the emac. I get the message to put pass word in and says that I'm ready to go on the internet, so I start safari up and it says you are not conected to the internet.

The verizon wireless says that I'm conected to Verizon 890L-377A .I've put The same IP adress in the box it says and the password. The password that I have,I have more luck with is the password for the computer not the one that Verizon says to put in, I've tryed both, the one from verizon and the one for the computer. What am I not doing wrong? Is there something l that I can do so I can get on the internet from the emac. I've tryed all that I can think of any of you emac people have any ideas.

Dec 9, 2013 4:13 PM in response to Shirlbob2013

The IP address from the Imac that I'm using is the same numbers that I put in the emac.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

10.4 instructions...

Is that Interface dragged to the top of Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations.

In Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers:, for that Interface enter these numbers & Apply...

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

Where to buy Airport Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.