Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just a thing, in SL osx you could know where the file was coming from in typing it in spotlight and highlighting it, it seems this option is no more available in maverick , is there a tip to switch it back on?

Just a thing, in SL osx you could know where the file was coming from in typing it in spotlight and highlighting it, it seems this option is no more available in maverick , is there a tip to switch it back on?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 5:40 PM

5 replies

Nov 29, 2013 10:18 AM in response to shokol8

Okay the problem is I am using a lot of music software, and let's say files got to move in different directory, from time to time,with new osx or others factors like upgrade, or I symply displaced them for easier use, or , good exemple an app bug and ask you, where are the directory folders, like dropbox , when you upgrade to osx maverick. So for exemple if I change my presets of directory, meaning you will have two or three folders with the same name. What I want , it's to type the name of the file in spotlight, maybe three files will appear, I want to highlight on these three files to know instantly where they are located, like it has used to be on snow leopard, cos this problem occur recurrently with differents apps, and as I duplicate files to save as well, it was really easy and fast that way, I just wanna know if someone knows how to get this option back.

<Edited By Host>

Nov 29, 2013 4:34 AM in response to shokol8

No disrespect intended, but I'm guessing your native language is not English?

As such you will probably need to make your enquiry look less like a solid block of text as it makes it even more difficult to read. If you split things into paragraphs and shorten sentences, (not easy I know), we reading may find things easier.

I'm not sure where to start with your above post.

shokol8 wrote:

Okay the problem is I am using a lot of music software, and let's say files got to move in different directory, from time to time,with new osx or others factors like upgrade, or I symply displaced them for easier use, or , good exemple an app bug and ask you, where are the directory folders, like dropbox , when you upgrade to osx maverick. So for exemple if I change my presets of directory, meaning you will have two or three folders with the same name. What I want , it's to type the name of the file in spotlight, maybe three files will appear, I want to highlight on these three files to know instantly where they are located, like it has used to be on snow leopard, cos this problem occur recurrently with differents apps, and as I duplicate files to save as well, it was really easy and fast that way, I just wanna know if someone knows how to get this option back.

The above is actually quite confusing for me. Bear in mind that you can still search using the Finder, (press ⌘F), and each file you highlight from a search resut will show the path at the bottom of the window assuming you have that enable in view options. (Finder> View> Show Path Bar).

**** apple is going way down trying to get fvor of a largest crowd, since OSX snow leopard (and steve jobs death), there is not even a minor innovation,

Seriously? No. That's not true is it. Neither you or I know what Steve did or didn't have in the pipeline. What's happening now could be part of a road map Steve left. Let's leave this point well alone.

I should have kept up with snow leopard but you can't even downgrade

Assuming you have the Install DVD and haven't upgraded any app libraries yes you can. It may be a little time consuming but it's easy.

and the hotline is full of incompetens readind script on their computer, not knowing what even a driver is, I'm gonna go for hackintosh , apple isn't worth anymore the trouble, they want to get the public mass, they will lose credit to all the media public (graphist , musician) who made their reputation working hands in hands , this time is over, and god knows how I loved my MBP, and cherished it!

I'm sure that's not completely true, and so are you.

Nov 30, 2013 12:23 PM in response to gumsie

hello gumsie , yes you're right, I am french , and sorry for my english, I wrote this, having enough of maverick, it's been only trouble since I got it, and to explain clearly, is certainely not my strong point in english, and i felt it will have been too long to explain my situation but i tried.

I was trying to get the information to know, if it was possible or not , to get the option back on knowing the file path finder on spotlight, which was great and making it easy and fast to know where your files are.

Now when I say , there is no minor innovation, I do think so, just this prove how backward it is getting, what is really the purpose of spotlight now, without this option. It just takes 3 steps longer, to do it. As the system of color tags, come on , there is nothing really innovative, it was there before, and in a better way, you could really see wich folder was taggedon, rather, than now, to have just a little point, so you have to look for it. I can't see someone thinking 'that's great, just what I needed'. Ok now you can research by tags or color tags, meaning you got to tag first, but even there I can't see the research by color be very useful. Frankly I can't understand why , this has been taken off, that was one of the strongest point of spotlight,that was just spotless, and they screwed it.

I mean Mac was used a lot by graphist and musician, cos it's stable and practical,unlike widows, and the osx doesn't take much place, now , it's more and more gadget for the mass, that I don't even use.

And even if steve jobs had something in the pipeline, that does make no change. If I was a Chef giving you a recipe, you could make it 100 times and not as good as me, cos when you cook, you need to feel it, it's about your own experience, it's not just about putting ingredients together. So yes without steve jobs, apple is going to the mass public and they are doing well, and for the moment there is nobody else proposing something bettter. but they not going to the good direction to me.

For me maverick is gross and unfinished product, as windows vista was, thats maybe why it's free.

Now to downgrade will be certainely a big pain in the bottom, as I am not sure I will be able to get back my datas from the existing HD, and as most of the music software upgrade as well to be compatible , that will means to downgrade them as well, Maverick isn't buggy enough for me to take all that effort to step back with all the hassle I will met.

And last point the hotline, I am sure , wherever you are that you've been using hotline for your bank , for your internet, and else, as all the hotlines, they are incompetent, they are just reading what their computer says, without it, they won't be able to give you any reliable information. And most of the time, hotlines are located in countries , where they barely speak your native language, not helping at all, but thanks, the call is free (I'm not wondering why, again)

Now the sure thing is , I can't see why I will buy a mac anymore , if they have decided to go to another direction and politic, then I can get an hackintosh that cost three time less with the same specs, of course it's not same, but apple isn't the same, and I know a lot of people making music thinking like me, the saving can help to buy music hardwares. Now I'm just hoping, that, in close future, a new bunch of programmer will dedicate an OS for the musician community.

Anyway thank you for you time and your knowledge.

Musically Your ;D

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.