Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managing apps on 2 appleID accounts with 1 iTunes.

My gf and I both have an iphone 5. I have a laptop. She doesn't. Can someone explain to me the logic of downloading/syncing apps on our devices? I've noticed that I can download an app while logged into my account on itunes, and I can sync that app to her phone. It will sync apps to her phone regardless of which appleID i'm signed into in itunes, but it seems that if I sync it while logged into my account that will cause issues on her phone where she can't download apps thru the iphone app store. So i'm under the impression that we have to logout/login on itunes according to which phone we are syncing with. Is that true? If so, why I am even given the option to sync to her phone with apps that i downloaded under my appleID?

I also realize i could create a whole new user on my laptop, but that creates problems for syncing music and photos that we both want to have on our phones. So I think one user is necessary. Just trying to understand the logic of logging in and out in this situation.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 7:15 PM

All apps, all paid and free apps include DRM protection which is tied to the iTunes account that was used to download the apps. It shouldn't make any difference which iTunes account iTunes is logged in with when transferring apps to either iPhone.

When trying to install an app update direct on an iPhone that was downloaded with Apple ID A, you must use Apple ID A and password.

When transferring iTunes content from iTunes on your computer when logged in with Apple ID A, Apple ID A is likely designated with the iTunes Store on the iPhone.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2013 7:15 PM in response to mark olson 3

All apps, all paid and free apps include DRM protection which is tied to the iTunes account that was used to download the apps. It shouldn't make any difference which iTunes account iTunes is logged in with when transferring apps to either iPhone.

When trying to install an app update direct on an iPhone that was downloaded with Apple ID A, you must use Apple ID A and password.

When transferring iTunes content from iTunes on your computer when logged in with Apple ID A, Apple ID A is likely designated with the iTunes Store on the iPhone.

Nov 26, 2013 7:28 PM in response to Allan Sampson

itunes seems to collect all the apps ever downloaded into one big list, regardless of what appleID was logged into when it was downloaded. There's no way to tell whether appleID A or B downloaded it. So if we both synced all of those apps to all of our phones, are you saying that when it asks for an update, we will both end up having to enter her password and my password according to who was logged in in itunes when it downloaded? if so, then what if we both wante to have app X? would we download appX separately in itunes?

This makes me think i should go back and delete all apps from her phone that I downloaded when logged in as me.

I'm also wondering how to remove apps from the big list in itunes since now i have a bunch of apps that were for only her but were downloaded under my appleID. I should delete those and download them under her appleID, right?

Nov 27, 2013 12:57 AM in response to mark olson 3

The first part is correct. Some people choose to have more than one Apple ID and do it as you are doing now. Not sure how many that do are BF and GF sharing iTunes on one computer.

If you both want the same app and want it under separate Apple IDs, the app would need to be downloaded twice under each Apple ID.

Responding to the previous post, there is no such thing as "linked" Apple IDs, and you most certainly can delete apps from your iTunes library on your computer. Paid apps can also be re-downloaded without having to pay for the apps again.

Nov 27, 2013 9:07 AM in response to Dragon51

Wrong and there is nothing to fix.

There is no such thing as "linked" Apple IDs alias or not, and the OP and his GF have their own Apple ID which are being used with iTunes on the same computer. Sometimes iTunes is logged in with his Apple ID and sometimes iTunes is logged in with her Apple ID when downloading apps and when syncing with each iPhone. Sometimes the same Apple ID is being used when syncing each iPhone as the OP and there is no fix for this. Different iTunes accounts are not linked in any shape, form, or fashion nor can different iTunes accounts be merged.

Nov 27, 2013 10:42 AM in response to Allan Sampson

My gf and I both have an iphone 5. I have a laptop. She doesn't. Can someone explain to me the logic of downloading/syncing apps on our devices? I've noticed that I can download an app while logged into my account on itunes, and I can sync that app to her phone. It will sync apps to her phone regardless of which appleID i'm signed into in itunes,

This is because your siging into your account then your GF phone is then syning to that account. This will happen, yhou have the auto sync turned on. Just turn it off and it will then prevent her phone from syning to your account.

edit preference, click on the phone icon and then check do not allow auto syning of iphone ipad.

On your GF phone go to setting itunes, check the account it's signed into. If need sign out and sign in with the correct account.

So if we both synced all of those apps to all of our phones, are you saying that when it asks for an update, we will both end up having to enter her password and my password according to who was logged in in itunes when it downloaded.

Correct becasue they are in since linked, even thoug you have 2 different apple id's with the down loads. if you want to update the app that was downloaded with the different apple id you will then have to put in that password. For that account.

The best way to fix it, is to delet the app and download it from the itunes store from her phone, again make sure the account is sigined in on the phone under setting itunes.

This makes me think i should go back and delete all apps from her phone that I downloaded when logged in as me.

That is the best thing you can do as I stated.

These apps will always show up, you can try to delet them from the summary page in itunes, click on apps, but the most it will do is allow you to hide them. Its been awhile since I have messed with that.

One thing to also do is make sure to name your phone, setting general about.

Then when you do have the phone plugged in you will see it over in the left side uder devices. Also make sure who's apple id is signed in on itunes, on the computer.

Nov 27, 2013 11:07 AM in response to Dragon51

Senior advisor my arse.

Different iTunes accounts cannot be linked. The only "link" is syncing an iOS device when signed in with a particular Apple ID with iTunes (transferring content downloaded with that Apple ID) on the computer used to sync the device.

And apps downloaded with iTunes certainly can be deleted from an iTunes library with iTunes no different from any other iTunes content in an iTunes library - music, books, movies, etc. You can't delete purchased content from the purchase history with an Apple ID, but that has nothing to do with deleting apps from an iTunes library on your computer.

Nov 27, 2013 11:13 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Do it! Sign into your phone with one apple id, down load an app, then sign in with a different apple id and down load a app. Its not truly syning the account but you will have app on your phone from 2 different accounts that you can use. The issue come up when you try to update said app from a different account.

You then need to sign in to that other account to get the app to update.

So a ture sync no. but you can use several different Itunes accounts for apps on your phone.

Managing apps on 2 appleID accounts with 1 iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.