Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello,

I use the Messages app (on Mavericks) for iMessage and Google Talk (GChat). Since upgrading to Mavericks, I cannot send new messages through Google Talk, for the contacts list shows me only the option of iMessage. In Mountain Lion, I would see both, iMessage and "Jabber", as options and would choose one or the other.

If one of my Google Talk contacts sends me a message, then Messages seems to understand that this conversation goes through Google Talk and I can reply, no problem. So, my problem is seeing my Google Talk contacts to start a concversation.

(BTW: I just checked and the same problem arises if I try to share a page in Safari. If I choose to share with Messages, I only see the iMessage option)

Anyone with the same problem? Any clues on what to do?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 8:05 PM

17 replies

Nov 27, 2013 12:48 PM in response to BTB1306

Hi,

So In Messages > Preferences > Accounts you are only seeing the Enabled iMessages account and the Bonjour account but no GoogleTalk or even Jabber item.

Yet if you get a Message from a Google Buddy it appears in the Messages main window ?

In System Preferences > Internet Accounts is the GoogleTalk ID listed ?

Is it Enabled there ?

User uploaded file
8:48 pm Wednesday; November 27, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 30, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your answer. In Accounts I see the active iMessage account (I use my Gmail account for), an inactive Bonjour account, and an active "GMail Google Talk" account (with the same Gmail account as iMessage).

I used to be able to write to contacts using iMessage (if they had it, of course), or through Google Talk. I simply chose one or the other from the contact list.

Now, the Google Talk account is still working and I can receive and send messages. The problem is the contact list: if I look up a contact, the list in Messages only displays the iMessage option, whereas it previously showed Google Talk as well.

As a result, I cannot start a conversation to Google Talk from there. If it's a conversation that is already existent, I can continue it normally.

Thanks again!

Nick

Nov 30, 2013 2:13 PM in response to BTB1306

Hi,

In the Contacts App on your own My Card (the one with the Head and Shoulders icon that is your details) is there the Jabber (Google Talk) account listed ?

My own My Card lists the email I use for iMessages (an email from a Dial Up account and long time Apple ID)

It also lists my Main AIM name as My Messages app calls it.

So then when I type in a Contact to start a "New Message" I see no Jabber options (Only AIM and iMessages for me).

If you go to the Window Menu and chose Buddies does the Buddy list show and does it show ANY Buddies ?

User uploaded file
10:13 pm Saturday; November 30, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 30, 2013 2:59 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi again Ralph,

yes, my Google Talk account is listed on my own contacts. I just changed "Google Tal" for "Jabber" on my own card to check. The problem remained: I see exclusively the iMessage options under contacts in Messages.

If I go to buddies on the Window Menu, I can indeed select my Google Talk contacts and start a new conversation. So that partially solves my problem, thanks!

But the problem with my contacts in Messages turns also into a problem when I want to share a page from Safari: I see there also the iMessage option, only, and therefore, cannot share pages with my Google Talk buddies, as I did before.

So, to reiterate, on ML I used to see both Jaber (Google Talk) and iMessage under my contacts in Messages (and Safari sharing), but that is gone in Mavericks.

Thanks for replying. Nick

Nov 30, 2013 4:03 PM in response to BTB1306

Ralph,

I found something that suggests that my problem is due to a bug.

I can now select Google Talk contacts if I do not start typing-in someone's name but that person's address. It works that way both in Messages and in Safari sharing.

This is a strange behaviour. Due you know by any chance how one can report a bug to Apple?

Thanks.

Dec 1, 2013 11:51 AM in response to BTB1306

Hi,

I am now a little confused.

When I type people's names I see something like this

User uploaded file

That is to say I get as far as typing "ra" and it list those Buddies and Contacts that I have.

I have three Computers and have an Address Card for each on each computer.

At least some of the Jabber ID and AIM Screen Names as well as possible iMessages details are on those cards.

The List also shows Jabber, Yahoo IDs and AIM Screen Names that are not linked to any Address Card.

However if I start to type in my street Address (which is what I think you meant) I get nothing showing up.

As most of these are Email Addresses I can "refine" the options on the Real Names (or not) if I type in the full username@servername.com
for them instead.

If you mean this way then the app is not talking to the Contacts app properly. (or you have Screen Names or IDs not linked to and Address Card)

Pic of Unlinked Screen Name

User uploaded file

User uploaded file
7:51 pm Sunday; December 1, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 1, 2013 1:26 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph,

thanks again for the detailed replies. When I said address, I meant e-mail address.

In Mountain Lion I used to get exactly a list like yours if I started typing either a contact's name, e-mail address, or nickame. Say, I had a friend John Smith, whose e-mail is navy@bmail.com. It would display such a list, with iMessage and Jabber, if I typed either John, Smith, or navy....

Now I get such a list ONLY if I start typing the e-mail address. On the contrary, if I type first or family name, or nickname, I only get the iMessage option. (Of course, for people whose e-mails are their names as well, I have no problem).

So, for now, I'm circumventing the problem by typing people's e-mail address, not their names or nicknames, But this is not how it should be and it is not how it was in Mountain Lion.

I appreciate that you are taking the time to look into my case. I take, of course, that your screenshot is taken from Messages in Mavericks. I see from your last picture that your Google account says Google, and not Jabber as in my case. But I guess that's not a problem.

Thanks again. Nick

Dec 1, 2013 1:51 PM in response to BTB1306

Hi,

In Messages > Preferences > Accounts change the Description to read anything you want for the Accounts.

I list Google as such as I have other Jabber accounts.

There is a a default way they will list.

In the General Section of the Preferences your can change to Untick the item that Links all Buddy Lists

Then in the Window Menu the Buddy list will list with their Own CMD + # item

The Name for the Buddy List works like this:-

One AIM (valid) and one Jabber (Valid) name will display as "AIM Buddy List" and "Jabber Buddy List" if there is nothing in the description box.

When you have two or any type of Buddy List they will list as the Screen Name or Jabber ID

Once you use the Description Field they will show as those Buddy List Names

User uploaded file

I still feel this is something to do with the Contacts app and the Address Cards.

How are the Names displaying in the Buddy List(s) ?

When in conversation what is appearing next to their text ?

Is it Name, Handle (Screen Name or ID) or just their Pic ?

See View Menu > Buddies and the Messages item in the same menu.

One is supposed to refer to the Buddy List and the other the chats (or they did in iChat).

In Mavericks the distinction seems to be somewhat lost.

In a Buddy List right click a Buddy. (I had to resort to highlight and then using CMD + i keys - Get Info)

What appears on their Info card ?

Does it appear to be linked to an Address Card ?

It will have an extra button bottom right saying Choose Card if there is not one.

User uploaded file
9:51 pm Sunday; December 1, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 1, 2013 3:10 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph,

I also think it's related to the Contacts app, but rather to a bug than to something that may be missing in a person's card.

Next to a person in a conversation I see their picture. I know that I can change that to show nicknam or full name. In the buddies list, I have set it to display the full name and on right-click, I can see their contact cards with name and depending on the contact, phone number and/or e-mail.

Dec 1, 2013 4:22 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph,

your answer in a related discussion (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4185963?answerId=23935604022#23935604022) solved my question. Thanks so much.

I still insist that in ML I never added separately the messaging Jabber accounts, but Messages would know which of my gmailcontacts were also my Google Talk buddies. So, a step back in Mavericks, I think...

Thanks again.

Sep 10, 2014 1:58 PM in response to aao1326

Hi,

Was there a Question or is this a rant ?

Rants are not actually allowed and the Hosts may move the post to a Community that the rest of us can't read.

As I said six months ago (raising a thread from the dead is also considered bad form) my Google account works in Messages.

The same ID is where I have in use and my sister emailed me yesterday.

User uploaded file

I don't use two step verification and you may need to check this out if you do.

User uploaded file

9:58 pm Wednesday; September 10, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 10, 2014 2:10 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I suppose it was not a question . You want me to put it in form of a question? No problem , here it is:

WHY are you being an ******* and lying about google account working , when they are clearly don't ? Why do you feel a need to post meaningless post void of any useful information ? when it was last time you tried it with an apple laptop, using different wifi locations?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.