Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages '09 Character Spacing No Longer Working

So I tried the new Pages 5 today and it is lacking too many features to count, but most notably for me facing pages and character spacing. I went back to use Pages '09 (version 4.3) and character spacing no longer works for many fonts.

For example, with Century Gothic, when I increase the font size, the characters overlap. When I decreate the font size, they space out like crazy. It's like the physical space the letters take up stays the same regardless of the font size. The character spacing slider in inspector does not work at all for these problem fonts.

Here are some screen shots of the wonky character spacing:

At 9 pts:

User uploaded file

At 12 pts:

User uploaded file

At 24 pts:

User uploaded file

At 48 pts:

User uploaded file

I am kind of freaking out - I use Pages to lay out books for my clients and I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me figure out what to do? I suspect Pages '09 is no longer working for me as a result of the Mavericks upgrade, but I really don't know since I just upgraded to Mavericks a few days ago and hadn't been using Pages with anything other than the Calibri and Impact fonts (which are working fine) since then. Today I started a new book in Pages 5, discovered Century Gothic wouldn't work, so tried to go back to Pages 4.3 and discovered the problem.

Thanks in advance for anyone's assistance!

Pages 4.3-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 10:19 PM

9 replies

Nov 27, 2013 3:05 AM in response to girathryn

I have also experienced font problems since the recent update to Mavericks and Pages 5.

If resetting the font cache does not solve the problem, try going into Font Book (in your Applications folder) then scroll down to Century Gothic and select >File >Validate Font. It will highlight a possible problem with the font and, hopefully, resolve it for you.

You can also adjust the letter spacing within Pages by selecting the text you want to change. Go to the 'Style' tab, click on the little gearwheel symbol (Advanced Options) to the right of the B i u symbols then select character spacing.

Hope this helps!

Nov 27, 2013 10:42 AM in response to Luke Christian

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I validated the font in FontBook and it said there were no issues with the font... but the problem persists in Pages '09.

Thank you for showing me where character spacing was in Pages 5 - I hadn't found it and I thought it was one of the many lost features! Unfortunately, as long as Pages 5 doesn't offer facing pages functionality, I still can't really use it unless I create a separate section for every single page so that I can customize the interior and exterior margins... which is pretty tedious for an entire book.

Nov 27, 2013 11:50 AM in response to girathryn

Okay, so I think I fixed my issue of some fonts not spacing properly in Pages '09 since I updated to Mavericks and installed Pages 5. It's weird though (at least to me)!

1) I tried deleting and reinstalling the font... that didn't work.

2) Per the suggestion in another post, I checked Pages '09 in another account on this computer. I logged out of my account and logged into the guest user account. I opened Pages '09.

3) I typed something into a blank document. The default font was Helvetica, but it was showing up very weird - all these accented, unrecognizable characters. I tried Century Gothic (the font I've been using as an example in this thread). It worked fabulously! I could increase the font, decrease the font, etc. and it behaved normally - no wonky spacing or overlapping characters.

4) Confused by why Helvetica was no longer working now, I opened up FontBook in the guest user account. To my surprise, there were at least a dozen duplicate fonts... this was not an issue in the main account I was having the issue in. Incidentally, Helvetica was NOT one of the fonts with a duplicate - it validated fine.

5) I highlighted all of the fonts and selected to resolve duplicates automatically.

6) I went back into Pages '09 (I may have quit and restarted the application) in the guest user account (same account I was already in). Suddenly, Helvetica was working. Century Gothic was working. Everything seemed to be working.

7) I logged out of the guest user account and logged back into my main account.

8) I re-opened Pages '09 and started a new document. It still works! I looked in FontBook. It looks exactly like how it looked before - no duplicate fonts.

SO: Although no one has ever used the guest account on this computer, it seems to me that somehow its FontBook was totally messed up and somehow resolving the duplicate fonts in the guest user FontBook also fixed my issue in my own account (even though there were no duplicates in that FontBook in the first place).

I am thrilled that this is working, but confused as to why. If any of you smartie pants' out there can shed some light, it would be mucho appreciated.

I hope this helps somebody!!

Pages '09 Character Spacing No Longer Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.