Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are random contacts disappearing?

Today at lunch I called someone in my contacts list. I looked up their number and called them from the data I had stored.

This evening I went to call them again, and their name wasn't in my recent calls. When I searched contacts again, they weren't in my contacts. Neither was their husband's number. Their numbers were in recent calls, not their names.

Then later tonight I went to call my wife from my favourites list and she and 3 others have had their names disappear. Their numbers are in my favourites list, but they too have disappeared from my contacts.

All of these people have been in my contacts for months or years.

I do have 10 other favourites who are in my favourites, and 1200 other contacts in my contacts list, but for some reason, today, I've begun to lose people at random.

Anyone have the same, or know a solution?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 3:27 PM

Exactly the same issue. Started noticing this in the past week. Is this a known defect and, if so, Apple Support - what is the work around for now?

5 replies

Dec 4, 2013 12:43 PM in response to olliedale

So I don't remember if I had my contacts synced through iCloud before, but when I went to Settings > iCloud there was nothing turned on. Setting Contacts to 'On' solved my issue - within minutes my favorites list was back to normal.

I can't help much in that I don't know what my settings were before - I thought I had contacts synced via iCloud but I can't be certain.

Did this work for you?

Did you have contacts synced and lost the connection?

Or were your contacts still synced and you had this issue?

Jun 19, 2014 9:02 AM in response to olliedale

Same thing happened to me last night and I 100% had it synced to iCloud... First time this happens to me and olliedale was right, every single iCloud setting was turned off all of a sudden. I almost had a heart attack cause I no longer backup to my computer but DO NOT PANIC...

If this happens to you, just turn everything back on, accept the merge warnings and everything should be just fine in seconds. I also found this other discussion Re: Why does iOS 7 keep turning off my iCloud account? .

I just updated to iOS7 on my iPhone 4s maybe 2 weeks ago because I couldn't download certain apps anymore and I hate it. My phone is super slow, my iTunes match resets itself every time I stop the music, so much so that I'm getting a 32G now and cancelling it. Oh! And not to mention the fact that I have to charge my phone 3 times a day in staid of one over night… And now this… I've rarely, actually NEVER been annoyed by apple (been using iPhones ever since the first one came out) but I am now and although there are some fun shortcuts on the new iOS, half the features end up taking longer…

Oh and apple please, make FaceTime optional, it's always in my way!!!!!!!! I have an unlimited everything plan and I don't want it interrupting my phone calls cause my cheek presses it and when I wanna call a contact from the text window, I don't wanna have to press 3 options before it starts dialling, it defies the freakin purpose… I'm always on the road and ALL of this is making me stop everywhere when my previous iOS was just fine. 😟 I'm also bilingual so unilingual Siri just doesn't always cut it...

Sorry guys it had to come out but ya, just an iCloud bug with an easy fix. Hopefully it'll be fixed after the next update.

Dec 2, 2015 6:22 AM in response to missmewastaken

I have been having this issue for quite awhile also. I have an iPhone 5C and a contact would be missing, and for awhile I could find them in an app, whatsApp, Now they disappear totally and not just in my phone, but on my other devices also. I just looked in iCloud, but can't tell if anyone is missing or not, as I just added one person back in. It's very annoying, as I have all my business contacts in my contacts, so when they go missing, it's a real issue. I can get them from people in my office as long as I am not traveling, but if traveling, that becomes a big problem. I posted another question, but no one has replied there also, but doing an online search, it does seem to be a big issue.

Why are random contacts disappearing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.