Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of flashtalking on safari?

I seem to have flashtalking interfering with my internet use on safari. How do I get rid of it?

iPad, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 3:44 PM

How is it interfering with web browsing? What are the symptoms that you're experiencing?

To reduce the ability for advertisers to track you (if that's what's causing problems), you can try any or all of the following:

1. In Settings > Safari, set "Do Not Track" to "ON". (NOTE: This only works if the advertisers actually obey the setting.)

2. In Settings > Safari, set "Block Cookies" to "From third parties and advertisers". Setting to "Never" will allow advertisers to track you easily using cookies. Setting to "Always" will make many websites stop working on the Internet (especially login accounts that use cookies).

3. Enable Private Browsing mode in Safari. Note that you'll want to disable and re-enable Private Browsing mode to start a new session every now and then (maybe once a day?) to prevent any possible tracking cookies from being stored for long periods of time. Since many websites use cookies for authentication, toggling Private Browsing mode will also force you to be logged out of some websites.

4. In Settings > Safari, tap "Clear Cookies and Data" to reset cookies, web databases and caches that have accumulated since you started using iOS devices (if you've always backed up and restored when switching to a new device). Again, this may log you out of web sites using cookies (or even web databases) for authentication, but it should clear any tracking mechanisms used by advertisers and start you out fresh again. (It's the equivalent of toggling Private Browsing Mode off-and-on, but for your default cookies, web database and cache storage.)

Hope that helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2013 3:44 PM in response to Khattrell

How is it interfering with web browsing? What are the symptoms that you're experiencing?

To reduce the ability for advertisers to track you (if that's what's causing problems), you can try any or all of the following:

1. In Settings > Safari, set "Do Not Track" to "ON". (NOTE: This only works if the advertisers actually obey the setting.)

2. In Settings > Safari, set "Block Cookies" to "From third parties and advertisers". Setting to "Never" will allow advertisers to track you easily using cookies. Setting to "Always" will make many websites stop working on the Internet (especially login accounts that use cookies).

3. Enable Private Browsing mode in Safari. Note that you'll want to disable and re-enable Private Browsing mode to start a new session every now and then (maybe once a day?) to prevent any possible tracking cookies from being stored for long periods of time. Since many websites use cookies for authentication, toggling Private Browsing mode will also force you to be logged out of some websites.

4. In Settings > Safari, tap "Clear Cookies and Data" to reset cookies, web databases and caches that have accumulated since you started using iOS devices (if you've always backed up and restored when switching to a new device). Again, this may log you out of web sites using cookies (or even web databases) for authentication, but it should clear any tracking mechanisms used by advertisers and start you out fresh again. (It's the equivalent of toggling Private Browsing Mode off-and-on, but for your default cookies, web database and cache storage.)

Hope that helps.

Nov 28, 2013 2:31 AM in response to ddkilzer

Thank you I have done all the above but it seemed to stop before I did this.

Yesterday I would get a message in a box saying http//www.falshtalking.com on which I had to press ok in order to continue using the browser. It came up every time I changed the screen and continued for about 2 hours. Eventually I just turned it off and used chrome on my my macbook air which didn't seem to have this problem. I was using tripadvisor at the time.

i have booked a session at the genius bar next week just to check everything is ok.

Thanks

Khattrell

How do I get rid of flashtalking on safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.