Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icons are dark and "waiting" after restore from back-up

My ipad3 was charging connected to my imac. When starting Ipad it indicated it needed to connect to itunes and a restore from back up was needed. I did that. After the restore, some, but not all apps are "dark" with the text "waiting" under the app. I tried a sync and a new restore, but same issue gain.

B/w I have the new op system on the Ipad.

Suggestions?

Fredrik

Itunes

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 5:00 AM

I found the solution! This happened to me, too, after restoring from iTunes backup: most of my apps were stuck in a "dark" status and if I clicked on one then it would change to a "waiting" status. I did a lot of tapping and restarting and Google searching, and here's what fixed it for me:

Open iTunes, go to the Apps in your LIBRARY (in the top left toolbar of iTunes) -- not on your iPhone/iPad/iPod -- make sure you're in the "icons" view not the "list" view, and then up top (in iTunes v12 anyway) click the filter above the icons that says "Updates" (to show only apps in your iTunes library that have updates available), then in the bottom right click the [Update All] button. You can also update individual apps by right-clicking on them, or you can drag a box around a group of apps and then right-click.

Once all your apps in your iTunes library are updated, then [Sync] your iPhone/iPad/iPod and the sync process will install all the gray and "waiting" apps to your device.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2016 5:00 AM in response to fredrikfromlondon

I found the solution! This happened to me, too, after restoring from iTunes backup: most of my apps were stuck in a "dark" status and if I clicked on one then it would change to a "waiting" status. I did a lot of tapping and restarting and Google searching, and here's what fixed it for me:

Open iTunes, go to the Apps in your LIBRARY (in the top left toolbar of iTunes) -- not on your iPhone/iPad/iPod -- make sure you're in the "icons" view not the "list" view, and then up top (in iTunes v12 anyway) click the filter above the icons that says "Updates" (to show only apps in your iTunes library that have updates available), then in the bottom right click the [Update All] button. You can also update individual apps by right-clicking on them, or you can drag a box around a group of apps and then right-click.

Once all your apps in your iTunes library are updated, then [Sync] your iPhone/iPad/iPod and the sync process will install all the gray and "waiting" apps to your device.

Jan 27, 2017 9:19 AM in response to bargz1

I had the same problem after restoring my iphone6s from my iTunes backup. Many of the app icons on my iphone were black. I tried to find the Apps in my iTunes Library but nothing was listed. What worked for me: I went to the Apps icon on my iphone, and it listed all the apps that were supposed to be available on the iphone including the ones that were black. The ones were black were waiting to be downloaded and reinstalled, so I just went through each one and re-downloaded and installed them. MAGIC! Thanks for the idea from bargz1!

Apr 27, 2017 8:51 PM in response to fredrikfromlondon

IOS is a goner with steve! i never felt so fed up before till i changed my iphone 6 plus to iphone 7 plus! It had become the worse nightmare having to go thru so many steps to gets all my apps back. all my whatapps pics and documents are gone!!! I am giving up ios for good...is a **** unfriendly and the most troublesome operation system ! iphone suk!!!!

Nov 27, 2013 7:38 AM in response to fredrikfromlondon

By the way i have tried the following:

- restarted

- find the app that is stuck in installing - none

- press the apps to 'force' them to start installing

- changed wifi on and off

- changed wifi network

- delete and add the icon from itunes

and nothing worked...and then after 5 minutes or so it started working. I dont know which of the above that kick started it, but it now works. Note it took some time before it started down loading again.

Dec 29, 2013 6:11 PM in response to fredrikfromlondon

Hello Fredrik I hope I have the solution you need... Maybe you've found out by now but It's because the apps are 'refreshing'. I think this is new to iOS 7 because I don't remember it happening before...

If you go into your settings-->general--> and about halfway down the list is BACKGROUND APP REFRESH.

I wish I could include a picture to make it easier but if you go into this setting you will see a list of all the apps that will refresh and also the master switch that turns them all off.. I'm not sure what it's doing when it's refreshing tho, maybe checking for updates or location?

Hope this helps,

Mister

Icons are dark and "waiting" after restore from back-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.