Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with partitions!

Ok, I have 2 partitions on my internal HD. CS5 is the startup disk. CS4 I wish to delete and have more memory on CS5. I deleted everything on CS4 through disk utility but it still says "this partition cannot be modified. The Hitatchi drive is and external boot drive that I made and booted from and I still was not able to do anything to my internal drive. HELP ME!

P.S. The reason I am doing this is because when I attemt to install mavericks it says something about the GUID partitions and won't install.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 8:28 AM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2013 8:52 AM in response to sidewinder1989

Right that main, internal disk, is set to Master Boot Record. For OS X to be installed it has to be a GUID disk.

Are you running OS X from that main internal disk? It looks like you are running Windows with a MBR partition table.

Not sure what to tell you except to install OS X the disk needs to be a GUID partition table. so your only option is to Repartition theat disk as One partition, Which Will Wipe Out Everthing That Is Now On It, and then start fresh with a clean install of OS X.

Nov 27, 2013 8:59 AM in response to LowLuster

I don't run windows on anything. for some reason when i purchased this macbook pro the ebay seller had 2 partitions already. OS X runs from the CS5 disk. I've attempted repartitioning the disk into one partition but even when i boot with the external drive It doesn't allow me to change anything. Do I need to just erase the partitions separately and then repartition while booted on the external drive? What is the best way to back up all of my junk and replace it after i install mavericks?

Help with partitions!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.