Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use backup of old iMac to restore files to new iMac

I hav purchased a new Imac. I have a back up of the files on the old Imac with TM. Can I connect the back up from the old Imac to the new Imac and use the restore function in TM? If not what is the easiest way to transfer the files to the new Imac?

I-Mac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 8:43 AM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2013 9:18 AM in response to Robert Hodson

Yes you can use your TM backup to migrate to the new iMac. If you have already taken delivery of the new machine and started it for the first time you should know this as Setup Assistant (what launches when you turn on a new Mac for the first time) will ask if you want to migrate from another Mac and if you choose yes it will ask if you want to restore from Time Machine or another drive. However if you ignored this it's not too late, you can run Migration Assistant (Applications - Utilities - Migration Assistant) and it will migrate your data, apps, settings, etc. SA and MA are very similar, the only major difference being is MA creates a new user account when migrating, SA does not do this.

DO NOT use the restore function of TM, ONLY use SA or MA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use backup of old iMac to restore files to new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.