Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture doesn't see all Pictures for import

I am having problems with Aperture finding photo files for importing. I set the family tree (having tried various routes) for viewing various folders and the images that I know are in the folder, just dont appear!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 9:20 AM

16 replies

Nov 27, 2013 11:35 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for reply Leoni

I am using V 3.4 and yes all Import settings are correct.

Having done further research I have backed up and created new Vault and about to Uninstall Aperture then reinstall. (I have tried everything else, having done file transfer to new iMac from MacBook Pro) Perhaps there were currupt files during transfer?

Fingers crossed!!

Nov 27, 2013 11:41 PM in response to léonie

In downloading the Update Aperture V3.4.5 from my original V3.4.1, I could only load the update by having the original which I had renamed ApertureOLD. I therefore renamed it back to original which then allowed me to update.

Unfortunately, the problem is still there and whilst trying to Import from various folders Aperture still doesn't see the images. I have tried pasting them into numerous folders both within Pictures - Desktop - etc. I go into Finder and all the photos are in place, but Aperture won't locate them!

Needless to say at this stage I haven't Uninstalled and reloaded!😕

Nov 28, 2013 12:11 AM in response to Harri Flex

Have you tried to toggle between folders in the Aperture Import panel? I noticed, that it takes some time for the image files to appear in the Import window. And Aperture does not seem to refresh the Import Browser window, when you move files around.

So try the following:

• Close the "Import" panel in Aperture.
  • In the Library Inspector panel make sure, you have a library item selected, that you can import to, not the Trash or something, otherwise the Import window might appear to be empty in AP 3.4.
  • Check again the settings.
  • Then select the folder you want to import from in the Import panel. Wait a moment for the images to appear. If the do not appear, switch to a different folder and then back.
  • If that still will not show your photos, switch between different "File Types" settings.

If none of this helps, check, if Aperture will see the Desktop or Pictures folder, if you are importing into a different Aperture library.

If even a new library does not help, it may be a problem of corrupted Preferences. Then you probably have a problem with corrupted user preferences.

Remove the Preferences: Remove the Aperture's user preferences from the User Library as described here:
Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

Note:Your User Library is hidden by default in MacOS X 10.7.x or later - to open it in a Finder window use the "Go" menu from the Finder's main menu bar.

• Quit Aperture, if it is running. Log off and on again.
  • Open the user library by using the Finder's "Go > Go to Folder" menu and hold down the options-key, until "Library" appears in the drop down menu. Select it.
  • In the widow that will open, scroll down to "Preferences"
  • From the "Preferences" folder remove "com.apple.Aperture.plist".

Then try to launch Aperture again.

But deleting the "Preferences" file will cause Aperture to forget the preferences settings. Be prepared to have to reset all options you set using the Aperture Preferences panel.

Nov 28, 2013 5:28 AM in response to Harri Flex

This sounds like you might have a permissions problem at the OS level. I would close all applications, run Disk Utility, repair permissions (on all drives and partitions), reboot, and try again.

This is in addition to Léonie's trouble-shooting steps.

(Léonie -- if this makes no sense, please say so. My sense is that there is something at the OS level and not at the app level.)

Nov 28, 2013 7:52 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I already asked for importing into a new library, Frank, but that was probably lost in my long list 😁

I am not sure yet by the symptoms, if it is a problem of this particular library, user preferences, or a weird kind of permissions issue.

It is good to see you and Kirby here. I noticed, that all three of my Mavericks Macs are showing similar problems with Aperture 3.5, but Harri is using Aperture 3.4 and I have no longer any way to test with that version. Kirby, are you still running Aperture 3.4.5?

On my macs, with Aperture 3.5.1, generally, after adding files to a folder, will it take a long time for Aperture to notice that the files have been added, and it will require to close the Import window and to open it again.

But Aperture 3.5 will show the files eventually, only it is annoyingly slow.

I have only come about one case, where Aperture could not access files in the Import panel, that the original poster could clearly see in the Finder, and that was due to file vault being enabled for the Home folder. And Aperture could neither access the Desktop nor the Pictures folder, nor the referenced originals.

Aperture doesn't see all Pictures for import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.