Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems Bluetooth iOS 7.0.4

Since I updated my device to version 7.0.4 my bluetooth does not pair with my peripheral devices. But after several attempts he acknowledges, but does not perform connection therewith. Have restored but to no avail.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 10:05 AM

8 replies

Dec 8, 2013 10:54 PM in response to Apple_Hero78

I have related issues and have determined to some fair degree of confidence it is iOS 7. Here is the sequence of events that leads me to this conclusion:

1) Pair a bluetooth device (a keyboard in my case), it connects fine and everything works.

2) Wait a while until the iPad (a Retina Mini in my case, iOS 7.0.4) sleeps for a while, then wake it up and try typing on the keyboard. No response from key presses. The iPad indicates (in Setttings > Bluetooth) it is connected to the keyboard. At this point it could be either the iPad or the keyboard not transmitting/recognizing key presses but knowing it is still connected.

3) "Forget" the device. It drops from the list of devices under Settings > Bluetooth. Now press "Connect" button on the keyboard for pairing. It shows up again on the iPad's list of Bluetooth devices -- as *connected*. This is now likely an iPad software problem: a device that has been "forgotten" should not immediately show up as connected off the bat when in pairing mode. The iPad should go through a pairing operation including entering a code. Instead, sometimes in this state the iPad pops up a box saying that pairing failed.

4) Now turn Bluetooth off on the iPad, wait a few seconds, and turn it on. Press the "Connect" (or pairing control) button on the keyboard. The iPad goes through the correct sequence, the keyboard is paired, and works again... until the iPad goes to sleep in which case the whole operation has to be repeated.

I have reset Network Settings and rebooted the iPad following suggestions here and elsewhere. Nothing else aside from the steps above makes any difference. Steps 1-4 must be followed most times the iPad wakes from sleep. This makes using an external keyboard basically impossible.

This occurs consistently for 4 different keyboards (4 different manufacturers) and on 2 separate Retina Mini iPads (the first was exchanged for the second for this exact problem -- no difference). However, a 3-year old Apple wireless keyboard does not show this problem.

Furthermore, an iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1 has none of these problems and plays perfectly with all keyboards tried in the experiments above.

I think these diagnostics combined with reports from iPhone 5 and 5S users having similar problems indicate it is highly likely an iOS 7.0.4 problem and not hardware or keyboard. The key fact is #3 above: the keyboard shows up as Connected after Forgetting it.

Problems Bluetooth iOS 7.0.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.