You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the Dual Microphones on 15" MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013?

I have just bought a 15inch macbook pro retina late 2013. on the site it mentiones that on the side there are dual microphones but no matter how hard and close i look at the side where the two thunderbolts, headphone jack, USB and Magsafe are i can not see them!!!

any one else have this issue, have i missed something???? have apple decided to cover these two little holes?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 11:52 AM

10 replies

Jan 4, 2015 8:06 PM in response to mirzazadeh2000

There might be some confusion about the dual array microphone:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/12/03/13-inch-macbook-pro-retina-review-late-2 013/

"For video chats Apple includes a dual array microphone, with both microphones sitting on the left side of the notebook."

That's those two tiny black dots on the left side. Must be some kind of phased array to track multiple people talking like for FaceBook.

However there is a stereo microphone input:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/record-through-your-macbooks-headphone-jack/

It's actually the headphone jack, which is stereo and can be flipped as a stereo input (didn't know that).

Also:

http://makebeats101.com/best-audio-interface-home-recording-focusrite-scarlett-2 i2-review/

For multiple sources.

Jan 7, 2015 10:01 PM in response to tomfromashfield

Dual microphone arrays are not meant to record stereo sound. They are designed to reduce the background noise for video chats. Imagine the "comparator" is listening to both microphones and comparing them. Near field noise (your voice) would be heard differently by the two mikes in different locations. Far field noise (ambient room noise) would be heard the same by both mikes. Basically what the comparator does is takes the noise that is the same in both mikes and eliminates it. Thus your voice in a chat situation stands out from the background. At least that's the theory.

You tell me it it works better than a single mike w/ noise reduction.

Sep 24, 2015 9:49 AM in response to AlfexOmega

My MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013 doesn't have the two holes previously described either. After the discussion about whether the audio is stereo or mono, no one really has answered the question of where the built in microphones on our models are (those of us without two holes). Would sure like to know. I am trying to get Dictation to work with audio from a wireless speaker (Sonos). It works ok when I talk to the computer, but what sounds like a similar level of audio from the speaker is worse than hit and miss on Dictation.

Where are the Dual Microphones on 15" MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.