Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime is not "verifying" my email address

On my macbook pro (newest version of Mavericks) trying to open facetime. I sign in and then facetime shows my email address asking if that is the one I'd like to use to send calls. I click the check mark so that the email address I want is selected and then click next. A little pinwheel appears at the top of the window next to the word "verifying". It's been "verifying" my email address for over a half hour now with no progress that I can detect. I've used facetime in the past week and was not asked to verify my email, so I don't understand what the problem is. I'd rather not have to pay to reinstall a program I already have, either.

Does anyone have a solution?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 12:47 PM

11 replies

Nov 29, 2013 1:56 PM in response to nimbus

Hey nimbus,

Thanks for the question. Were you sent a verification email? If so, you’ll want to follow the instructions in that email:

FaceTime for Mac: Troubleshooting FaceTime

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4185

If you are unable to activate FaceTime, try the following:

Sign in to FaceTime for Mac using a valid Apple ID. After you validate the email address for use with FaceTime, other FaceTime users can connect to you using that email address. If you encounter issues registering or using an Apple ID account:

- Ensure that you have an active Internet connection.

- Verify that you are using a valid Apple ID at appleid.apple.com. You can also create an Apple ID or reset your password from this website.

- Check that your email address is verified in FaceTime > Preferences.

- If FaceTime > Preferences shows your email status as "verifying," follow the instructions in the verification email that was sent to complete the process.

- Toggle FaceTime off and on in FaceTime > Preferences.

- If still unable to Sign In follow the instructions in FaceTime, Game Center, Messages on OS X: Troubleshooting Sign in

Thanks,

Matt M.

May 27, 2014 2:24 AM in response to nimbus

After two months of various attempts to sort out an issue with FaceTime on my IMac late 2012 I still cannot get it to connect , but it does on my laptop.

It will not verify when I try to start it up. When I try to update with the latest version in the mac app store it tells me I have a newer version. It will not let me delete the installed version as its part of the OS.... This has been an issue now for over a month and I now just use my MacBook pro for FaceTime. All my software is up to date . . Except for FaceTime!

When I try to update FaceTime it says "FaceTime can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because the version of OS X is too new.". when I try to delete the installed version it says its required by OSX . . not sure what else I can try.

Just checking . . Facetime on my computer is Version 3.0 (1638) and on the Mac App store its v1.0.5 ... Something seems to be wrong here and possibly that's why I cannot uninstal or instal from App Store . . . any ideas ????

PS Facetime is switched on in the drop down menu

Jul 9, 2014 1:35 AM in response to nimbus

I too had the problem with FaceTime being stuck on "verifying...".

What worked for me was to simultaneously launch the Messages app and sign-in with that same Apple ID.

For some reason, the Messages and FaceTime apps seem to be connected during the initial Verification step.

Subsequently, after successful Apple ID verification, no need to run Messages app to use FaceTime.

Facetime is not "verifying" my email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.