Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new iMovie update 11-23-2013 puts out mp4 videos. iDVD and Quick Time Player will not accept them. They give an error. I have an iMovie I prepared for my Thanksgiving guest and now I can't make a DVD. Neither will iMovie save in my movie folder.

How do you use iDVD and Quick Time with the new iMovie update when it puts out mp4 movies?

iMovie (iOS), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 2:04 PM

12 replies

Nov 27, 2013 9:35 PM in response to Cagpan

Hi, yes imovie output/input has been driving me up the wall, in the end I downloaded-- iDealshare VideoGo--

(free download) and can convert to many, many different formats, the free version has some limitations on how many files imported for conversion etc but it saved me endless mucking around with a deadline, highly recomended, cheers

Nov 28, 2013 7:05 AM in response to Cagpan

I can confirm that iDVD still burns DVDs from files exported from iMovie.

Steps I took:

1. Create a project in iMovie 10.0.1

2. Go to File>Share>File... and for Size choose Large 540P (960 x 540) and click Next

3. Choose a location on the hard drive to save the file to.

4. Wait for the blue circle activity indicator to finish.

5. In Finder, verify that iMovie created an MP4 file in the location specified in step 3.

6. Open iDVD and click "Create New Project."

7. Give the project a name and save it to your hard drive.

8. Drag the file you created earlier from the Finder into your iDVD project window.

(or go to File>Import>Video... and choose your video there)

9. Make any adjustments to drop zones, etc.

10. Click the burn button.

11. Insert a DVD and let it do its thing.

This produced a working DVD for me.

Here are my software specs:

OS X 10.9 Mavericks

iMovie 10.0.1

iDVD 7.1.2

Nov 28, 2013 8:10 PM in response to Alan Cook2

Thank you so much Alan for all your help at a very busy time. Yes, it worked perfect. I guess I needed step by step instructions. You made it very easy to follow. I had to change te size to 540P, and I did turn off my Webroot Security. The mp4 also saved to my computer and played on Quick Time as it should. I managed to get it downloaded and the DVDs made before company arrived. Our family Thanksgiving was much more enjoyable with your assistance. I hope these instructions help others. Thank you again.

Sep 23, 2014 2:50 PM in response to Firehawk108

>> I have tried all of the steps above with iMovie 10.0.5 and idvd does not recognize the mp4. I need to make my mp4 video into a playable dvd. Any ideas? <<

First off, I would not use iMovie 10.0.5 for making DVDs. The ability to set chapter markers was removed from iMovie 10.0.5.

With iMovie 10.0.5:

Export the movie out of iMovie at Size = 480p.

Open iDVD, select a theme and drag the exported QT movie file into the open iDVD window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

For making DVDs you'll get better results using iMovie 06, or iMovie 11. I have both but prefer iMovie 06. With iMovie 06 you can create chapter markers and make professional looking DVDs almost as good as the ones Hollywood makes.

With iMovie 06:

Share > iDVD

DONE !

The new iMovie update 11-23-2013 puts out mp4 videos. iDVD and Quick Time Player will not accept them. They give an error. I have an iMovie I prepared for my Thanksgiving guest and now I can't make a DVD. Neither will iMovie save in my movie folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.