Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage going to my computer not iPhone

Only recently, about a week ago, my computer started recieving incoming text messages instead of my phone. So if I'm not at my laptop, I don't get the texts. I've tried turning iMessage on in my iPhone, an attempt to solve this problem, but it can't seem to activate. I like using iMessage on my laptop when I'm in front of it, but it defeats the purpose of having a phone capable of recieving texts when they're being redirected to my computer. Please help me fix this issue.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2017 1:42 PM

Ralph,

Thanks so much for your good help.

Apple has made this BEYOND stupid and ridiculous. Why is it that it is so easy to get emails to both IOS and MacOS devices, but get the much used and important text messages it is a Gong show to try to make all be in sync.

Sorry to vent with you, but I am not happy that I have missed numerous texts today.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2017 1:42 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph,

Thanks so much for your good help.

Apple has made this BEYOND stupid and ridiculous. Why is it that it is so easy to get emails to both IOS and MacOS devices, but get the much used and important text messages it is a Gong show to try to make all be in sync.

Sorry to vent with you, but I am not happy that I have missed numerous texts today.

Nov 28, 2013 12:01 PM in response to Mayamo.o

Hi,

Turn the Mac Version Off for the moment.

On the iPhone > Settings > Messages remove the Apple ID

In Settings set the iPhone to Airplane mode for a few minutes.

On taking the iPhone out of Airplane mode go back to the Settings > Messages.

Make sure the iPhone Number is ticked as a Send and Receive "address".

Add the Apple ID and make sure this is ticked.

Restart the app on the Mac.

You should get one or two pop ups saying the iPhone is using it's Number and the Apple ID

Accept these Pop ups.

The Mac's iMessages account should now list the iPhone Number as an Alternative "Start Conversation From" in the drop down at the bottom and the Receive At list above that.

User uploaded file
8:01 pm Thursday; November 28, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Apr 2, 2017 12:06 PM in response to Fred Davenport

Hi,

It can be frustrating as in the case of Text/SMS Forwarding there is no real way to look up whether the Mac is really "signed In' to the iPhone in a fashion that make this work.

Again being offered the idea of Resetting the Text Forwarding, seemingly just on the chance it might work, can equally be frustrating.

That said I have nothing else.

The Blue Tooth link for Handoff and Continuity are not used for this and can be Off.

Some Macs don't have full abilities in this area either.

User uploaded file

8:06 pm Sunday; April 2, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Jan 4, 2016 11:07 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Strange.

I received and email saying I received 5 points for this

(User uploaded fileresponse)

It does not seem t show when I come to view the thread.

User uploaded file

7:07 pm Monday; January 4, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

iMessage going to my computer not iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.