Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Invalid Sibling Link without Startup disk or DiskWarrior

Hi all,

A couple of days ago while i was online my Macbook pro froze and crashed. Upon restarting finder wouldn't run (just the beachball of doom), but most other programs seemed to operat ok, if a little slowly.

I used disk utility to try and figure out the problem and found i had a Sibling Link Error that DU was unable to repair. after reading several posts I tried

fsck -yf on start up couldn't sort it either and made thins a little worse: it now take several tries to get it to boot at all.

I've serched high and low and I can't find my original startup disk so i cant boot from that to run DU. Any while I understand it'd merris I simply can't afford DiskWarrior. Also (hanging my head in shame) I haven't backed up in a long while and i dont have an external HD.

Can anyone suggest any solutions to my plight baring in ming the above?

Sorry for being a bit of a lost cause. Ay help would be greatly greatly appreciated (and I promise to back up in future)

I'm a bit rubbish when it comes to computers, I'm embarassed to say that it's just not one of my strengths. So step by step answers would be great if at all possible - I'm good at following instructions!

p.s. Sorry for any glarring spelling mistakes- I'm severly Dyslexic.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 5:42 PM

11 replies

Nov 27, 2013 5:57 PM in response to penben

You may be able to repair the disk so that you can mount it for purposes of extracting its data. Boot single user mode and at the root# prompt type

fsck_hfs -rf /dev/disk0s1

followed by the Return or Enter key. Substitute your disk device name for /disk0s1 in the above.

To see a list of devices, type ls /dev

It may take a long time to complete and may not be able to repair the disk. If and when it eventually finishes with ***** REBOOT NOW ***** it means what it says. Just force it to shut down.

Even if it repairs successfully, the disk error is likely to recur. Take that opportunity to back up or save your important documents.

Nov 27, 2013 7:50 PM in response to penben

Don't be concerned about that. If you are uncertain there is no harm in using disk0s1. Repeat with disk0s2 and so forth.

If you did not partition your hard disk the damaged boot volume is probably disk0s2.

Remember it will take a long time, perhaps an hour or more, and may not be successful. If you are concerned your system has become unresponsive just press the Return key. A blank line should appear. When fsck finishes the root# prompt will reappear and pressing the Return key will result in another root# prompt.

Nov 28, 2013 4:05 AM in response to John Galt

Hi again,

I tried you suggestion but all that happens is that after a few seconds a few lines appear saying "fsck_hfs: illegal option -- /"

Then theres a kind of list of sincle letters each with = and a breif description beside it.

Does this make any sense?

I don't know if it's relevant bujust above where it said ROOT there was something like root read only, or something like that. I also just tried the standard fsck and fsck -fy and fsck -yf commands but each time it comes back with " volume Macintosh HD could ot be repaired"

Once again thank you for you'r help on this!

Nov 28, 2013 5:51 AM in response to penben

It sounds as though your HD cannot be repaired. Just make sure you are typing the command correctly.

There are a total of two spaces in it.

Type

fsck_hfs

Then a space, then

-rf

Then another space, then

/dev/disk0s2

Then the Return key.

If it still replies "volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired" that is all you can do. There is no harm in trying it repeatedly until you decide to give up.

Nov 28, 2013 8:00 AM in response to John Galt

Will do, thank you.

What I find confusing (one of the many things!) is that it only tells me that the HD cannot be repaired when I do fsck -yf or fsck.

With the comand you suggsted (the one with the hfs in it) i doesn't make it that far. It just says its an illegal operation. might there be a reason for this do some commands work on some operating systems and not others? My mac says it is running OS X 10.6.8 (theres no mention of any big cats of any kind!).

Also, just to give some extra context: When i initially booted up when this started the main notable thing was that finder wouldn't work while other systems semi-worked. I just booted up again (in safe mode) and finder seems to be working. Everything isn't quite as it should be (slow programs etc) though.

oh and for some reason Chome works (kind off) but safari can't see the internet at all.

This all confuses the heck out of me!

Dec 2, 2013 6:49 AM in response to penben

Afaik, given the hints by John Galt didn't work for you, you have no other choice but DiskWarrior and you'd better backup everything while you still can. I see you can't afford DW, but that's it (and you can't be certain even DW will do the trick). This quote is from the Alsoft Support Batabase:

Product

DiskWarrior

Question

Is DiskWarrior capable of repairing an "Invalid Sibling Link" error?

Answer

This is an error you definitely don't want. It indicates that parts of your directory, and therefore some of your files and folders, are inaccessible.
Mac OS Standard (HFS) and Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus) disk directories have a very complex structure. Each file or folder (item) on a disk has an entry in the disk's directory. These entries are in order of enclosing folder and then item name. This is similar to a yellow pages directory being ordered by type of business and then business name. Just like a yellow pages directory, the disk directory has pages except that its pages are called nodes. Unlike the yellow pages, nodes are dynamic and change as you add and delete items. It's sort of like a realtime yellow pages.
Imagine that the pages of the yellow pages are not in order and at the bottom of each page it says "Continued on page n," where n is the page that contains the next set of listings for the particular type of business that you're looking up. Well nodes are not arranged in order and each node has a reference, or link, to the next node that contains the next set of ordered items. This link is what is referred to as the sibling link.
A sibling link error is a bad link to another node. Either the link refers to the wrong node or it refers to an invalid node. As I said, a sibling link error makes some of your items inaccessible and can even prevent a disk from mounting. Sibling errors are notoriously difficult for some of the patching type of disk repair utilities to repair. Sometimes the repairs fail and the directory is damaged further. If a disk with a sibling link error is still mountable, I would advise backing up the accessible files and folders on the disk before attempting to repair it with that type of disk repair utility.

Dec 2, 2013 1:08 PM in response to Mark Jalbert

Thank you to everyone for your advise ths far,I really appreciate it!

Based on what you'r saying I have a couple of questions:

1. One of the main ways the error is affecting my system is that even in safe mode finder is not working. Because of this it looks to me like no external drives register when plugged in though usb. That is the computer can't see them. If this is the case how can i transfer my files to back them up?

2. How do I know the correct "start up" / recovery DVD that I need? it sunds like i need one of the grey ones, but do i just tell apple my computers model etc and get them to tell me what i need?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, as I said before computers are not my strong suit.

Dec 2, 2013 4:24 PM in response to penben

Call Apple at the number shown in the Apple Online Store and explain that you require a replacement System Install DVD. They will require your Mac's serial number. It is printed on the case exterior, on the bottom. It is a mix of letters and numbers and the print is very small, so it can be challenging to read even without dyslexia.

Troubleshooting a Mac is a challenge without that disc, but it seems everything you did already verified that its hard disk requires replacement anyway. Disk Warrior may or may not be successful, and it's a lot of money to spend for something that may not work. Even if it is capable of repairing the disk so that you can start your Mac, and retrieve whatever data remains intact, some irretrievable data loss has already occurred. Ideally, that data will not be important to you.

Help! Invalid Sibling Link without Startup disk or DiskWarrior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.