Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S: the Wi-fi is greyed out and the Bluetooth seems unable to initialize.

Several weeks ago, I got a replacement iPhone 4S due to an unrelated issue. Approximately six days after receiving it, I had the wi-fi start sporadically working (it could not stay connected to the wireless network). Within three hours of that, the wi-fi stopped working entirely. The wi-fi toggle was greyed out in the Settings app and I could not activate it. The bluetooth seemed to be unable to get going, either, although I at least saw a spinning "working" symbol instead of gray out. I tried the guidance provided in from the Apple Support site, including restoring, resetting, etc.

A week later (approximately four days ago), I went to an Apple store with the issue. They replaced the phone with another iPhone 4S. The wi-fi seemed to work. However, two days later (Monday, November 25), I observed that the wi-fi was no longer working. It was greyed out. The bluetooth seemed not to work either. I tried resetting it, clearing the network settings, and what not. It did not work it.

Today, I went to the Apple store at lunch time. After some standard troubleshooting, they got a new, replacement phone out for me. When that phone was set up (as a new phone), it wasn't able to connect to the Apple store's wireless. Once it was set up, we observed that the wi-fi was greyed out and could not be activated. The Apple store employee plugged it into a nearby laptop and did a factory reset. When that was done, the wi-fi seemed to work.

I got home roughly an hour ago. I have done little with the phone other than browse a few websites. As I was attempting to download some of the apps I no longer had (as I was *advised* not to restore from my old iPhone backup), the wi-fi disconnected. I went to investigate and it could no longer find any wireless networks. I tried to toggle the wi-fi. Once it was in the off position, it would not return to the on position.

I just completed a factory reset of the phone. As of right now (within 20 minutes of the restore), the wi-fi is still connected and functioning.

I'm already prepared to return to the Apple Store within the next four days because I'm expecting to the wi-fi to fail, again. Luckily, I got the extended AppleCare plan, but if I have to either return my phone to the Apple Store or do factory resets every day, this is not the phone I want.

Has anybody else had similar experiences? Is there an official justification for this, outside of "rumors" of iOS issues? Do I have a Sim Card problem? Or is this just a subtle suggestion from Apple that it's time to get a Windows phone?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 6:52 PM

There are no replies.

iPhone 4S: the Wi-fi is greyed out and the Bluetooth seems unable to initialize.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.