Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 --> 10.9 Upgrade: hangs at "Upgrading services"

10.6.8 --> 10.9 Upgrade: hangs at Server App "Upgrading services"

Upgraded XServe-Early-2009 to Mavericks OS no problem. Albeit extremely slow (50min install, 2hr cataloging).

Initiating Server for 1st time renders a Hang at "Upgrading services" (left it for 1-1/2hrs).

Then computer claims hard disk is almost full, so I trashed a bunch of crap.

Force Quit (Server install) and Restart shows white screen.

Target FireWire in order to DiskWarrior and Repair Permissions brought XServe back to life.

Downloaded Server App again (for kicks).

2nd attempt at running Server App renders a Hang again at "Upgrading services".

Was I being silly thinking I'd have a flawless Upgrade and get home in time for Turkey ?

Does anybody have any ideas what could be happening ?

Thanks, and have a Happy Thansgiving !!

Jay Luke

(914) 906-1140 cell text

JayLuke@aol.com

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 6:05 PM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2013 6:56 PM in response to Jason Lukasiewicz

You were probably foolish to try this before a holiday weekend. Repeat after me...

Q: What is the first rule of upgrading OS X Server on a Production Server?

A: You don't upgrade OS X Server on a Production Server.

Q: What is the second rule of upgrading OS X Server on a Production Server?

A: You DO NOT upgrade OS X Server on a Production Server without a backup!

You get the point. Hopefully, this made you smile a bit. I feel your pain.

So, first... Tell me you have a backup of the 10.6.8 boot volume before your started and that you can restore, walk away slowly, and pretend this never happened.

If this is not the case, the next step is to define a list of all services that you had running on the server before attempting the upgrade. Remember, there are a lot of services removed between 10.6 and 10.9 (Podcast, MySQL, Tomcat, QTSS, etc). If you were using one of those services, the upgrade process may be halting. Likewise, if you are using something like mail, there may be a long reindexing process. So, while the 1 to 1.5 hours sounds very long, it is possible that the server was doing something. That leads to the next place to look.

What was being reported in the log files. System log, Open Directory log, and even the all events log can be helpful in tracking down an error or long running process.

Likewise, what does Activity Viewer show during this upgrade. What process(es) is/are consuming CPU? Disk I/O? The assumption is that the server is trying to do something (hopefully).

You are going to need your put on your Sherlock Holmes' deerstalker for this one. I will also point out that the "out of disk space" error is sounding particularly terrifying.

You may be having a very long Friday.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in the iBooks Store

Nov 27, 2013 7:58 PM in response to Strontium90

I did laugh . . . because (1) your comments are funny, (B) your comments are absolutely correct, (3) I DO have a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of the 10.6.8 boot volume AND checked that it worked, (D) I did know better, but I "went for it" anyway thinking I have 4 days to solve the problem if something goes wrong . . .. . ugh ;-)

SERVICES (pretty simple): File, DNS, Mail (25 iMap users), Web

(( Airport Extreme serves DHCP, NAT ))

HARD DISK: 160GB, and nearly capacity

ACTIVITY MONITOR: slightly higher percentage (2.0 - 2.8%) now that I freed-up some space. I do see AppleFileServer has some %.

We may have our answer . . . . disk space.

Let me work on that and post back later this weekend.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!

10.6.8 --> 10.9 Upgrade: hangs at "Upgrading services"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.