Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS 8.5 on Ethernet connection?

Hello! So I recently acquired a second iMac G3. It is a Bondi Blue model and it runs Mac OS 8.5. Now I would like to connect it to the internet via an Ethernet connection but I haven't a clue how to do so. I have my iBook G4 sharing an internet connection (works on my iMac G5) and it seems to not want to work with my G3. Any ideas?

iMac

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 10:15 PM

2 replies

Nov 28, 2013 9:17 AM in response to iMac PPC

For a standard Internet connection over Ethernet, the Steps to connect in the following article are basically the same for Mac OS 8.5.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20782

It is normally better to use a router. In such a case, it is easy to connect an older Ethernet-capable computer to one of the LAN ports. It is even possible to connect wirelessly (Wi-Fi) via a wireless Ethernet bridge (also known as a gaming or media adapter) without the need for special driver software. Examples of bridge devices are Netgear WNCE2001 and Linksys WET610N.

Would it be correct to assume that the reason for sharing the Internet connection from an iBook G4 is that you have a USB mobile broadband modem?

Jan

Mac OS 8.5 on Ethernet connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.