Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G4 Dead HDD and No OS?

Hey guys thanks for checking out this post and helping me out, so long story short I've got a iBook G4, ( Last model Apple made (14 inch, 1.4 GHz) ) and I got it with a dead HDD and since the HDD was dead there is no OS in it. Im aware that you can buy Leopard or Tiger at eBay or Amazon but for a big price tag, and the HDD is a pain to get to in the iBooks, I changed a HDD in a 2008 Macbook and it was so easy compared to this. So the question I really have is that where can i buy leopard really cheap or if i took it to a local computer repair shop how much would you think they'd charge me for a HDD repair + Leopard installation? I know the G4 is basically obselete but I always loved the White Computers Apple made so I'd love to restore it.

Thanks, JP.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5), iBook G4 6,7

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 10:30 PM

Hello and welcome to the support community.

I always try and encourage fixing them yourself. The Ifixit website does a really nice step by step guide with photos on how to remove parts like the hard drive from iBooks. You maybe best to obtain a copy of leopard retail from eBay along with a used or new hard drive. Computer shops will charge you a lot and now doubt ask a bit more than eBay for the OS.

If leopard is expensive you could always install Linux for PPC like Mint or Debian.

They are free to download from the distribution websites and pretty straightforward to install.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2013 10:30 PM in response to jpsulisz

Hello and welcome to the support community.

I always try and encourage fixing them yourself. The Ifixit website does a really nice step by step guide with photos on how to remove parts like the hard drive from iBooks. You maybe best to obtain a copy of leopard retail from eBay along with a used or new hard drive. Computer shops will charge you a lot and now doubt ask a bit more than eBay for the OS.

If leopard is expensive you could always install Linux for PPC like Mint or Debian.

They are free to download from the distribution websites and pretty straightforward to install.

Nov 27, 2013 10:37 PM in response to Knucklesmac

Here the thing, I've tried Linux, in fact ive tried 4 different copies, 1 DVD-R which should work on my iBook because it has the Superdrive, no luck, then I tried 3 other different Linux OSs on CDs and couldnt get it to boot into them, so I have no idea if the Superdrive is done too, I dont want to spend 50 dollars on Leopard to find out that the Disc drive is dead.

Nov 27, 2013 10:49 PM in response to Knucklesmac

I wanted to try a PPC Linux port however I ran out of regular CDs ( I havent had a need to buy CDs ), I will run off to the store and buy more tomorrow, I will for surely try this out, I still need a HDD to make this work, and again the hard drive on the ibook is a pain ( I got to the motherboard and gave up ), but I didnt know there were tutorials that well so I may try it, and for the HDD I may look on ebay for a HDD for the iBook G4 with a OS on it already or just plain. ( I still may just buy a 50$ copy of leopard incase i get any PPC computers later in the future )

Nov 30, 2013 3:49 PM in response to jpsulisz

To follow this question at your second posting in its new thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5612603?tstart=0

Not sure what else may be a repair on the unit should the symptom be caused by a failed connection on the logic board or a solder joint on either a CPU or GPU module. Companies who specialize can do this kind of re-solder repair, some are better set to do this on a regular basis and have modern facilities to re-solder boards.

I see where wegenermedia.com says they can do these, too.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

iBook G4 Dead HDD and No OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.