Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install OS X 10.4 on partitioned iMac with OS9.2.1 already installed

I am trying this on 2 machines actually.

I have successfully installed OS 9.2.1 and now I want to install OS X 10.4. I don't have an OS X install disk, but I do have a 10.4 disk image burned onto a CD. I can't boot from it. I can't restore it either.

How can I install the OS X package on this machine? Or is it not possible?

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 10:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 10:22 PM

You should be able to install OS X on that machine, but the machine will need to be booted to OS X in order to do so. This is usually accomplished by booting the machine to the OS X Install disk.

There is no version of OS X that can be installed while the machine is booted to any version of OS 9.

What is the specific model iMac? This will determine which versions of OS X are suitable for it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2013 10:22 PM in response to Al Lemieux

You should be able to install OS X on that machine, but the machine will need to be booted to OS X in order to do so. This is usually accomplished by booting the machine to the OS X Install disk.

There is no version of OS X that can be installed while the machine is booted to any version of OS 9.

What is the specific model iMac? This will determine which versions of OS X are suitable for it.

Install OS X 10.4 on partitioned iMac with OS9.2.1 already installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.