Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My New Time Capsule

Hi Everyone

I have just bought a Time Capule and I am a little disapointed with what I have found so far.

Varying comments from the Apple shop and PC shops give conflicting advice so I thought I would fire these questions at the people who actually use these devices.... YOU.

I was first disapointed to find that port forwarding on the TC was not possible to access my CCTV/DVR security system.

So I have ended up retaining my existing router and connectiong the TC in "Bridge Mode"

Does this have any downsides?

The other question I have is Can I access my Itunes library or any other files for that matter from an Ipad or Apple TV from the TC when the IMac is not on. If so any help would be appreciated.

TIger

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 11:47 AM

iTunes is a software that runs on the computer.. it cannot run on the TC.. TC is a router with a hard disk in it.. no brains at all.. no media servers, no servers period really except the min required to store files.. ie AFP and SMB.. and that, as they say in the classics, is that!!

Apple TV that is hacked could play video files from the TC.. but it cannot work with an iTunes library. Apple is too paranoid about copyright. But your garden average ATV is a streaming device not a player.. the TC is not a player as already mentioned.. therefore you need a player.

iOS similar issues.. it is not designed to play iTunes. It can stream..

Your port forwarding issue.. hmmm that should not happen. Apple is simply having firmware problems. I guess eventually they will release a bug free edition. (bug reduced??) For pure apple network it works OK.. but Apple do not seem to take into account people actually do run stuff that doesn't have an apple moniker on it. In that case it is better to stick with router from a company that is aware there is a world out there they do not own. But they do need to get along with. The TC is fine to do its main function.. wireless AP and Network backups of TM. Isn't that what you bought it for?? Otherwise return it in the 14day period if you bought from Apple store and use something else.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2013 11:47 AM in response to TigerTheCat

iTunes is a software that runs on the computer.. it cannot run on the TC.. TC is a router with a hard disk in it.. no brains at all.. no media servers, no servers period really except the min required to store files.. ie AFP and SMB.. and that, as they say in the classics, is that!!

Apple TV that is hacked could play video files from the TC.. but it cannot work with an iTunes library. Apple is too paranoid about copyright. But your garden average ATV is a streaming device not a player.. the TC is not a player as already mentioned.. therefore you need a player.

iOS similar issues.. it is not designed to play iTunes. It can stream..

Your port forwarding issue.. hmmm that should not happen. Apple is simply having firmware problems. I guess eventually they will release a bug free edition. (bug reduced??) For pure apple network it works OK.. but Apple do not seem to take into account people actually do run stuff that doesn't have an apple moniker on it. In that case it is better to stick with router from a company that is aware there is a world out there they do not own. But they do need to get along with. The TC is fine to do its main function.. wireless AP and Network backups of TM. Isn't that what you bought it for?? Otherwise return it in the 14day period if you bought from Apple store and use something else.

My New Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.