Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2013 13" MBP - only left USB port can charge iPad 3

Hello,

My new late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro can only charge my iPad 3 (30-pin connector) from the left-hand USB port. Using the right-hand port, USB connectivity works but the "Not charging" message appears.

Also, with some USB cables the iPad continuously connects and disconnects from the MBP causing havoc in iTunes and a continuous chime from the iPad. This happens on both ports.

I'm wondering if the MBP has a minor electrical fault. Please could anyone with a late 2013 13" rMBP confirm whether they can charge an iPad via the right-hand port, using the old-style 30-pin connector? (I don't get the problem with Lightening devices.) If it makes a difference, my MBP is built to order with the i7 processor rather than the usual i5.

Cheers

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 3:57 AM

9 replies

Jan 30, 2014 11:23 PM in response to JoshD

This just popped up on me today. In addition, the battery icon on the ipad was alternating between "charging" and "battery power". A restart cleared it, but this is just one more problem with my late 2013 and soon to be my last Apple product unless it, and other hardware and software issues are fixed right quick. 😠.

Feb 19, 2014 9:44 PM in response to @MuDaeBoJongShin

Is this a common issue for everyone?

I initially thought my left USB port (nearest to the CAPS LOCK button) was faulty.

However it charges my iPhone 5 just fine. In fact, both USB ports works fine with the iPhone 5.

HOWEVER, only the right USB port works with my iPad Mini Retina. If I plug it up the left USB, it quickly alternates between 'charging' and 'battery power' (not charging) and comes up with multiple errors on iTunes stating "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. This device is no longer connected" (despite the fact that it is NOT an iPhone...but an iPad mini). I get the same error as the OP stated (only on the left port): iPad continuously connects and disconnects from the MBP causing havoc in iTunes and a continuous chime from the iPad.

Feb 24, 2014 10:02 AM in response to @MuDaeBoJongShin

OK, I messed around with this issue over the weekend. Here's what I did:

1. Used iPad 3 until I have run battery down to about 50%

2. Plug in to left USB port on Late 2013 rMBP. Battery icon starts displaying "flip-flop" behavior.

3. Replug into right side USB....no problem, all behaving well.

4. Tried plugging in my iPhone 4s into same cable on left USB port, no problem.

5. Replug iPhone into right side USB....again no problem, all behaving well.

Here's where it got interesting:

6. Exchange charging cable for a newer cable with the smaller-sized 30-pin dock connector.

7. Plug iPad into left USB port...and viola! Battery charging icon is steady...no "flip-flop"!

8. Replug into right side USB....no problem there either, all seems normal.

I have no idea what's going on, but this seemed to have solved prolem. BTW, the older cable, when plugged into wall charger, charges the iPad just fine.

Hope this helps someone else with this problem.

Jun 2, 2014 4:31 AM in response to @MuDaeBoJongShin

Also, with some USB cables the iPad continuously connects and disconnects from the MBP causing havoc in iTunes and a continuous chime from the iPad. This happens on both ports.

Hi,

I have the exact same problam here... With 4 cables from the same provider... Works well with my iPhone 4, not with the MacBook Pro Retina late 2013. Works well too on my friend's older MacBook Pro (non retina)...

Thanks !

Aug 5, 2014 2:46 AM in response to @MuDaeBoJongShin

Yes it does seem to be a cable problem. I've had this problem using a few third party cables, not with iPad but with my iPhone 5. Left port makes it jitter, right port works fine. One of my cables even gave me the "this cable or accessory is not compatible..." message when plugged into the left port. I doubt I can get Apple to look at it as they will just tell me I shouldn't use third party cables.

Late 2013 13" MBP - only left USB port can charge iPad 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.