Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get 5.1 audio out of itunes

I have just bought a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor for my iMac. I run an HDMI lead from the adaptor to a Sony AV receiver, and the AV receiver is connected to a Samsung TV by HDMI. The problem I have is with both TV and Receiver switched on the option to select the Surround (AC3/5.1) soundtrack is greyed out. Switch of the TV and the option is available! The main purpose of this is to enable me to watch films with surround audio on the TV rather than the iMac.

I have tried searching for answers to this, but am unable to find anything that works. I have set the audio output to be the HDMI, I have looked into Audio Midi to enable Multi Channel Audio. But nothing seems to work.

The only thing I can think is happening is the iMac is seeing the TV information and deciding that it doesn't support surround audio and not allowing me to set it, despite their being a fully capable AV Receiver in between.

Is there anyway to override this. I have seen in other threads (more specifically about video resolution./timings/etc) that you can override the EDID settings, would it be possible to override the EDID Audio settings? so that the iMac thinks the TV can accept the multichannel audio? If so does anybody know how?

I found this link, which looks like the kind of thing I'm trying to do, but wondered if there's an easier way?

http://darkfader.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/edid.html

I'm running Mavericks, if that makes any difference!

Many thanks.

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 7:03 AM

2 replies

Nov 29, 2013 4:28 AM in response to Rudegar

Hi Rudegar, the media I'm trying to play definately has the 5.1 surround audio, as indicated in my original post it works ok when the TV is switched off with the AV Receiver switched om, only when the TV was switched on as well did it stop working.

We have actually managed to find a much simpler solution to the problem in the end, we switched the HDMI socket, and now it works ok. Am stil lgoing to investigate further into resolving the issue on the initial input, as if we ever change TV the problem could resurface, and it seems there's quite a few people in a similar position to myself.

How do I get 5.1 audio out of itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.