Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open PDF files on Mac

I'm assuming this has to do with the recent adobe update I did. Anyone have a solution here.

iMac, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 7:40 AM

Right click on a PDF, lok under Open With and check what is the default.

Then select Preview instead of Adobe and verify that the file can open in Preview.

11 replies

Nov 28, 2013 8:02 AM in response to Csound1

It may be damaged or use a file format that preview doesn't recognize. That is the error I get.

I have OS X 10.9

Adobe Reader XI ver 11.0.04

I can open existong PDF files that I have saved in my documents but no new ones.

Recieve an email with a pdf I need to open....it wont open from Mail nor will it open when I save it to desktop or downloads folder.

Aug 9, 2016 6:45 PM in response to Oldschool8

Has there been any resolution to this. We are having a similar problem where all PDF attachments received in mail cannot be opened by either Adobe Reader, Preview etc. Yesterday was fine and today it isn't working. They are also coming up blank / with error on mobile devices. This is slightly infuriating and would be great to have some method of resolution.

We are operating OSX El Capitan 10.11.5 on Macs and iOS 9.3.3 on iPhones.

Cannot open PDF files on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.