Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maps App wont load in OS X Maverick

I recently upgraded to Maverick. When i load the Maps app, i see that the location services is enabled however i only see the yellow checked background. I've confirmed i have the latest Java Version (v7 update 45). Already tried restarting app and Mac.

As far as network preferences are concerned -- priority (ethernet vs wifi) didnt help (w/ wifi on in both cases). Any other ideas as to what may be happening?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Maps wont load

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 2:03 PM

Java has nothing to do with the problem.

Open the Date & Time preference pane and select the Time Zone tab. Is it able to show your location?

7 replies

Nov 28, 2013 3:36 PM in response to Easyas314

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Nov 29, 2013 9:16 AM in response to Linc Davis

Here's what I see come through the console once I open up the Map App. Below are the 12 lines or so that come up:

11/29/13 9:14:19.346 AM xpcd[281]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

11/29/13 9:14:20.823 AM locationd[45]: Location icon should now be in state 'Active'

11/29/13 9:14:20.883 AM WindowServer[136]: CGXSetWindowListSystemAlpha: Invalid window 267 (index 0/1)

11/29/13 9:14:21.052 AM com.apple.geod[551]: /SourceCache/GeoServices/GeoServices-702.14.9/GEOResourceManifestServerLocalPro xy.m:1492 connection error: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1004 "Could not connect to the server." UserInfo=0x7f977b52c650 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7f977b52eb10 "Could not connect to the server.", NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://gspa35-ssl.ls.apple.com/geo_manifest/dynamic/config?application=geod&app lication_version=1&country_code=US&hardware=iMac10,1&os=osx&os_build=13A603&os_v ersion=10.9, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://gspa35-ssl.ls.apple.com/geo_manifest/dynamic/config?application=geod&app lication_version=1&country_code=US&hardware=iMac10,1&os=osx&os_build=13A603&os_v ersion=10.9, NSLocalizedDescription=Could not connect to the server.}

11/29/13 9:14:21.053 AM com.apple.geod[551]: Will retry manifest update in 80.000000 seconds

11/29/13 9:14:21.179 AM UserEventAgent[268]: *** mach_port_mod_refs returned error 15

11/29/13 9:14:25.317 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[31]: Killing auth hosts

11/29/13 9:14:25.318 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[31]: Session 100040 destroyed

11/29/13 9:14:25.319 AM xpcd[281]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

11/29/13 9:14:25.341 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[31]: Session 100041 created

11/29/13 9:14:25.404 AM Maps[2749]: PBRequester failed with Error Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1004 "Could not connect to the server." UserInfo=0x6000000e9b00 {NSUnderlyingError=0x6000006466c0 "Could not connect to the server.", NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://gsp10-ssl.apple.com/use, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://gsp10-ssl.apple.com/use, NSLocalizedDescription=Could not connect to the server.}

11/29/13 9:14:36.280 AM locationd[45]: Location icon should now be in state 'Inactive'

Nov 29, 2013 9:42 AM in response to Easyas314

Step A

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Maps

Right-click or control -click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.Maps" selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the folder to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. If there's no change, quit again and put the item you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Go on to the next step. Otherwise, delete the folder you moved. The list of recent places displayed in Maps will be lost.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step B

Double-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

gspa35-ssl.ls.apple.com

Launch the Network Utility application.

Step 1

Select the Lookup tab and paste into the address field (command-V). Press return. Post the output that appears below – the text, please, not a screenshot.

Step 2

Select the Ping tab and do the same. Please enter the same input as you did in Step 1. Don't use the output of Step 1 as input to Step 2.

Important Note

Some web browsers and mail clients will automatically convert a domain name such as "www.example.com" to a clickable URL, such as http://www.example.com. That will interfere with the test. If necessary, edit the input in the Network Utility window to remove any added characters.

Nov 29, 2013 3:45 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

Prior to trying this last step -- I went into the date and time zone preferences again and unchecked the "Set time zone automatically using current location" and closed the window. I then went back in -- checked the box and opened the Map App and was able to get it to finally load. Not sure why doing that seemed to work when it was previously correctly identifying my location.

Appreciate all the assistance and prompt feedback in helping me figure this out.

Maps App wont load in OS X Maverick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.