Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reduce iPhoto Size

Hey Guys and Gals,

Hoping someone can help me out. Just bough a new macbook pro (love it) however HDD space is now an issue. I have a very large iTunes library which I'm not going to downsize, so next on my list is iPhoto.

I've got Clean My Mac 2, and I run a scan and got rid of duplicates, copies of changes etc and deleted them.

My iPhoto Library is till 145GB.

Now I have a decent camera and it takes photos in quite a high resolution size. I know how to export and reduce an image size individually however is there a program that i can let run a scan and reduce the image sizes. I mean some are like 4MB per photo! Im not a professional and I wouldnt notice the difference if the photo was 4MB or 1MB!

The next option is to run my it off my TC, however I just got a MAC with a SSD and Im loving how quick everything is on here!!!

Some advice and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Kieran

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 7:59 AM

I've got Clean My Mac 2, and I run a scan and got rid of duplicates, copies of changes etc and deleted them.

Be very, very wary of running this app at all, not to mind on your iPhoto Library. A significant number of people have had their Macs damaged using it. Search the forum for more.

If you're camera takes 4mb files sizes and you can't tell the difference or have no use for the other 3mb, then set your camera to take lower quality shots. That's the first step.

No, there is no application that can run over the iPhoto Library and reduce the file sizes. Remember iphoto is designed specifically for people who want to preserve the original file untouched. If you don't want that you might want to ask yourself why you're using the app at all?

You can move an iPhoto Library to an external disk:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Note this needs to be a wired connection not a wireless one. If you're trying to edit the Library (that is, make albums, move photos around, keyword, make books or slideshows etc.) or edit individual photos in it via Wireless be very careful. Dropouts are a common fact of wireless networking, and should one occur while the app is writing to the database then your Library will be damaged. Simply, I would not do this with my Libraries.

Regards

TD

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2013 7:59 AM in response to shewburger

Be very, very wary of running this app at all, not to mind on your iPhoto Library. A significant number of people have had their Macs damaged using it. Search the forum for more.

If you're camera takes 4mb files sizes and you can't tell the difference or have no use for the other 3mb, then set your camera to take lower quality shots. That's the first step.

No, there is no application that can run over the iPhoto Library and reduce the file sizes. Remember iphoto is designed specifically for people who want to preserve the original file untouched. If you don't want that you might want to ask yourself why you're using the app at all?

You can move an iPhoto Library to an external disk:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Note this needs to be a wired connection not a wireless one. If you're trying to edit the Library (that is, make albums, move photos around, keyword, make books or slideshows etc.) or edit individual photos in it via Wireless be very careful. Dropouts are a common fact of wireless networking, and should one occur while the app is writing to the database then your Library will be damaged. Simply, I would not do this with my Libraries.

Regards

TD

Reduce iPhoto Size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.