Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Logic Pro X?

Hi,

I have some questions, some of which are perhaps duh-questions, but advice and suggestions would be much appreciated! So, here goes. I currently have Logic Pro 9 and am considering getting X as the new features look attractive--the windows look like they'll make for a nicer work flow, not to mention the new drums and keys sounds, plus the bass amp modeler. I've included my IMac's specs and other pertinent information at the end of this post. So here's the questions.

1. To anyone who has upgraded from LP 9, what do you think? Are the changes worth it? If so, which are your favorite changes and why?

2. Based on reading the FAQs, and assuming I understand them correctly, my current software and memory layout would mean I would need to expand my Memory and upgrade to a more recent OS.

3. Which OS version would I need? (I see that Maverick is out, but the only compatible computers they are listing are the laptops?)

4. Where does/can one purchase extra memory that is compatible with MACs?

5. Since I also have Parallels Version 6 on my machine, I would need to upgrade that to at least 8, if not 9, so that it will be compatable with the newer Apple OS?

6. I also have MS Word for MAC 2008, Vs. 12.0.0.0 so will that still work if I upgrade to a newer Apple OS?

7. According to the FAQs for LP X, my previous version of Logic Pro will still be on my computer (as it states it will be unaffected by LP X), so if I want to pull it off the system, I have to uninstall it. BTW, here is the link to the Logic Pro X FAQs page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5812

8. Are there any other warnings/advisements you would give me before I consider doing what's necessary to upgrade to the new one?

Thank you very much in advance!

IMAC TECHNICAL SPECS

IMac 21.5inch Mid 2011

Processor: 2.7 GHz, Intel Core I5

Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3. Memory is upgradeable to 16 g. Currently, I have 2 slots of 4 each in use and 2 slots free.

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Software: Mac OS X Lion, Version 10.7.5 (11G63)

Storage on my Hardrive: 832 GB free.

Storage on my external Hard drive (where I store my LP projects): 463 Gb free

VERSION OF LOGIC PRO 9

9.1.8 (1700.57) 32 bit

Logic Pro

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 12:41 PM

Bassplayuh wrote:

8. Are there any other warnings/advisements you would give me before I consider doing what's necessary to upgrade to the new one?

Sounds like you have a nice setup with all your software working together, my advice is to not jump into it.

#1 As near as I can tell the audio engine is exactly the same with some of the same oddball quirks that version 9 has. I've helped a couple of people upgrade, one person has a similar computer as yours.

#2 Logic-X (and Mavericks) is 64-bit only, this means any 32-plugns you have will not work.

#3 Both Mavericks and Logic-X use increased memory, Logic has a new graphics engine and on most computers is somewhat slower, as is Mavericks.

#4 There might be added costs as I don't think all your software will be compatible.. something to investigate.

Personally, I see no point in upgrading a perfectly good working system unless there are tangible benefits that outweigh the negatives. Either way, I would add another 4-gig memory, it won't help Logic in 32-bit mode but the whole system will run better.

I haven't used the Drummer but that may be one of the benefits you're looking at, others can add ther 2-cents about the features you've mentioned.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2013 12:41 PM in response to Bassplayuh

Bassplayuh wrote:

Sounds like you have a nice setup with all your software working together, my advice is to not jump into it.

#1 As near as I can tell the audio engine is exactly the same with some of the same oddball quirks that version 9 has. I've helped a couple of people upgrade, one person has a similar computer as yours.

#2 Logic-X (and Mavericks) is 64-bit only, this means any 32-plugns you have will not work.

#3 Both Mavericks and Logic-X use increased memory, Logic has a new graphics engine and on most computers is somewhat slower, as is Mavericks.

#4 There might be added costs as I don't think all your software will be compatible.. something to investigate.

Personally, I see no point in upgrading a perfectly good working system unless there are tangible benefits that outweigh the negatives. Either way, I would add another 4-gig memory, it won't help Logic in 32-bit mode but the whole system will run better.

I haven't used the Drummer but that may be one of the benefits you're looking at, others can add ther 2-cents about the features you've mentioned.

Nov 28, 2013 2:15 PM in response to Bassplayuh

#3 The minimun version of OS X to run LPX is 10.8.4

#4 OWC or Amazon are both good cheap sources for Mac memory... Look up what you need on OWC and then check on Amazon to see if their prices are cheaper than OWC

#7 Don't uninstall Logic Pro 9.. Leave it be so you can continue to work on older projects that use 32bit plugins for example... It takes up little room so you don't save much by deleting it.. and all it's content is still usable in LPX

#8 If you use any external hardware such as an Audio Or Midi interface, make sure there are Maverick compat6ble drivers available, if needed prior to upgrading your OS X version...

Upgrade to Logic Pro X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.