Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finding ip addresses assigned by airport

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm very frustrated with AirPort Utility 6. All I need is to be able to find the IP address assigned by my new Airport Extreme Time Capsule 3TB. It's not a wireless client, but a wired one. I'm simply trying to configure a DLink Bridge (DAP-1522) and need to set it up with my wireless info. Just need to get into the Dlink's admin page, so I just need the IP. The default is supposed to be 192.168.50.1, but I'm guessing my ATC assigned something like 10.0.1.xx, but for the life of me can't seem to find it. I've tried pinging in the terminal window. There must be some unix thing I could use, right? The only thing I could find here in the ASC was to fool OS X to install an older version of the Utility from back in the day when we had a bit more visibility into simple things like IP addresses. Thanks for the help!

pete

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), 1TB Flash Drive Woo Hoo!

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 10:26 AM

3 replies

Nov 28, 2013 10:31 AM in response to Pete_in_LongBeach

If the TC is acting as a router, then the default IP address for the device is 10.0.1.1.

You can see all the info by opening AiPort Utility and clicking on the Time Capsule icon.

Info about the Internet IP address, local IP address, version number of firmware, etc will be displayed in the box that appears.

A currently connected wireless client will also be displayed along with its assigned IP address. You may need to do a bit of investagive work to figure out which device is which.

Nov 28, 2013 7:13 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob. I can see the address of the TC itself (it's 10.0.1.1), as well as the other stuff you mentioned, with the exception of wired LAN clients. I can see all the ipads and phones and my Apple TV (with their addresses if I hover over the pop-up) but can't see the addresses of the three things I have hard-wired to the TC (one of which is my iMac which I found in Network Settings is 10.0.1.2.

I reset my wireless bridge to factory settings - and I assumed it might keep a static IP of 192.168.50.1, but that doesn't seem to work when plugged into Safari. I did have an idea tonight that I might just use an old windows computer to configure it...

Thanks again Bob, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 28, 2013 7:26 PM in response to Pete_in_LongBeach

I can see the address of the TC itself (it's 10.0.1.1), as well as the other stuff you mentioned, with the exception of wired LAN clients

For some unknown, strange reason, Apple designed AirPort Utility 6.x versions to not provide any information on any wired Ethernet clients.

I did have an idea tonight that I might just use an old windows computer to configure it...

AirPort Utility 5.x versions on earlier Macs and all PCs are much better utilities, and provide much more useful information than the "upgraded" 6.x versions.

finding ip addresses assigned by airport

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.